Looking for a headphone amp? Use caution...

zenith2134

Addicted Member
I sit here in front of my KA8100 integrated, which was working beautifully until I tried using my Little Dot MKII headphone amp as a preamp-a function which it is designed for.

I now have a blown right channel after the little dot sent a surge of DC into my power amp, causing the right woofer to propel outwards pretty far.

I am pissed off more than you can imagine. What a shame. I am scared it's gonna blow my Grado's next. This just isn't fair.

In any event i plan on digging in to see if i can fix this soon. Thanks for listening to my rant.

My sincere sympathy with your unwelcome setback.
I have been wondering about many of these so called head-amps for a long time. Having dismantled quite a few, many appear to be more of a small power amp. Some, like yours, are DC coupled to the headphone outputs. Call me chicken, but I don't trust my expensive collection of headphones with any sort of DC coupling:no:.
Anyhow, look at the bright side of things. You got one channel still working:D.

Ruining a pair of Grados would be like dropping a bottle of your favorite champagne... No... It'd be like dropping the bottle on the button that launches a twelve-thousand megaton bomb on the vineyard.

HAHA citizen gain that's so true.

And yes one channel still works. Fun.

Did I mention this is the 3rd unit from them which failed for me? I don't understand.... It is barely broken-in.

Bad luck is following me around with these amps...I use surge protection, and never crank the amp!

oh man! the 8100 was my first decent amp, bought new in '78 or so. ran it for many years, never a problem. sold it to a co-worker for 50 bux, about 15 years ago. it was stolen within a week!

sorry for your loss... :(

I´ve had an original Musical fidelity X-Cans Headphone amp for years and never had any troubly with it. I´ve know idea whether it´s DC coupled to the outputs, though.

I´ve had an original Musical fidelity X-Cans Headphone amp for years and never had any troubly with it. I´ve know idea whether it´s DC coupled to the outputs, though.
Same here. I've used a Grado RA-1 and a Headroom Cosmic Reference Series with regularity for years with nary a problem. YMMV, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom