Looking for a multi-format player than won't break the bank.

Could you share which Sony model your'e speaking of? Most of the newer Sony's only have 2 channel analog out and I would really prefer that over an HDMI, I still haven't had the time to see if my Marantz 7012 will accept the HDMI without extra conversion ( still trying to understand all of this HDMI wise). The other option is to go the Tidal route or something Hi-rez that I can stream.
Not sure if the Sony I am talking about gives you what you want. It’s the UBP X1000ES. Has HDMI as well as RCA’s. It really is a great player. I tried all kinds of settings on my Oppo to get it to sound as good, but the Sony won out every time.

This is my dilemma kinda! I just upgraded my LCR and added an additional sub and now my Sony 222ES player can't decide which discs it wants to read! It seems to prefer my SACD's versus CD's ( perfect huh, cause I bet you can guess which format I have a ton more of ?). Anyhow, I have a good selection of DVD-Audio as well and my Pioneer player also decided to not wake up at all. I'm looking for a SACD/CD/DVD-Audio player with multichannel analog outs. I really do enjoy some of these surround sound audio discs. I as well am hoping to stay below that $500 limit. I know that will limit me to mostly nice second hand gear. I have a Marantz SR7012 AVR though so I'll need to seek to understand the possibility of buying a dual player and using the HDMI out from that player to the AVR.

When I mentioned Oppo units, it was in response to the stated requirement for analog multi-channel audio outputs.

My Yamaha DVD S-1800 has RGB, S-VHS, composite video, HDMI, Coax, optical and 5.1 analog outputs. The only caveat is that it doesn't decode HDCD's. However, it plays them as regular CD's. It has played everything I've thrown at it.

New, as mentioned, a Sony UBP-X1000ES, with analog stereo outputs, or a UBP-X800ES, if analog outs aren't required? And if multichannel analog outputs are required, a used Oppo. Sorry, no other "affordable" choices. There is also the new Pioneer UDP-LX500, but at roughly $1K, not so affordable. Sorry, it's a streaming market. Not many hardware choices left.

New, as mentioned, a Sony UBP-X1000ES, with analog stereo outputs, or a UBP-X800ES, if analog outs aren't required? And if multichannel analog outputs are required, a used Oppo. Sorry, no other "affordable" choices. There is also the new Pioneer UDP-LX500, but at roughly $1K, not so affordable. Sorry, it's a streaming market. Not many hardware choices left.

That and everyone else is happy with HDMI to an AVR. Doesn’t make sense for them to cater to .0002% of the customer base.

That and everyone else is happy with HDMI to an AVR. Doesn’t make sense for them to cater to .0002% of the customer base.

I agree. Even my old 1st Gen Sony PS3, sounded great via HDMI, into my Pioneer Elite AVR. Wolfson DACs were fine to my ears, 2 channel or multichannel. Even better now, through my Yamaha AVR, with ESS Sabre DACs.

Everyone’s needs are different – based on the genre of music they like.

If you need support for all modern digital audio, and video (e.g., concert video) formats (e.g., Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, CD, 24 bit/192 kHz download, DSD download) – and TOSLINK connection for Chromecast Audio and streaming (e.g., internet radio and Spotify Premium) - and 5.1 analog audio connections – (not to mention features like remote volume control) - what machine other than the Oppo UDP-205 meets all needs? FWIW, I use all of these formats for music, and I use the 5.1 analog audio connections for my late 1950s and early ‘60s tube amps.

If you don’t need Ultra HD Blu-ray, then the BDP-105 and BDP-95 work.

If you only need stereo analog connections (no subwoofer or multi-channel surround-sound), then apparently the Sony UBP-X1000ES or Pioneer UDP-LX500 is suitable. (I have no experience with these units.)

We all recognize that John Q. Public will likely buy an AVR at a big box store, and a cheap universal player that only supports HDMI – or - more likely - John Q. Public will forgo discs for streaming (at reduced audio and video quality).

Different strokes for different folks. If you listen to modern state-of-the-art recordings, then modern recording formats are relevant. OTOH. if you listen solely to 8-track tapes … or cassettes … or CDs … or streaming ... then your needs are different.

Everyone’s needs are different – based on the genre of music they like.

If you need support for all modern digital audio, and video (e.g., concert video) formats (e.g., Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, CD, 24 bit/192 kHz download, DSD download) – and TOSLINK connection for Chromecast Audio and streaming (e.g., internet radio and Spotify Premium) - and 5.1 analog audio connections – (not to mention features like remote volume control) - what machine other than the Oppo UDP-205 meets all needs? FWIW, I use all of these formats for music, and I use the 5.1 analog audio connections for my late 1950s and early ‘60s tube amps.

If you don’t need Ultra HD Blu-ray, then the BDP-105 and BDP-95 work.

If you only need stereo analog connections (no subwoofer or multi-channel surround-sound), then apparently the Sony UBP-X1000ES or Pioneer UDP-LX500 is suitable. (I have no experience with these units.)

We all recognize that John Q. Public will likely buy an AVR at a big box store, and a cheap universal player that only supports HDMI – or - more likely - John Q. Public will forgo discs for streaming (at reduced audio and video quality).

Different strokes for different folks. If you listen to modern state-of-the-art recordings, then modern recording formats are relevant. OTOH. if you listen solely to 8-track tapes … or cassettes … or CDs … or streaming ... then your needs are different.
Totally agree with all comments here. I'm really leaning on streaming for hi-rez and eliminating the player options at this point. Outside of Tidal, are there any highly recommended hi-res streaming services? I'm not really a classical music guy, more indie, rock, jazz and acoustic listener.

Quboz is just establishing itself in the US. They offer various levels of audio quality including high-res. That they do not use MQA but offer true high-res streaming is a plus for me.

Quboz is just establishing itself in the US. They offer various levels of audio quality including high-res. That they do not use MQA but offer true high-res streaming is a plus for me.
I cannot find Quboz on my Heos app for my Marantz, is the best way to stream to add the Quboz app to my Appletv 4K and stream that way? I've not been happy with Airplay stream and in the Heos app, I don't see a way to add Quboz?

I have no idea about using an app for Quboz. I installed it to a laptop. AFAIK there is an app for Android.

Back
Top Bottom