Looking for a new (modern) amplifier

oBraiNEateRo

I'm not a super audiophile, so bear with me. I'm looking for an amplifier that will go well with my turntable and that I can run with wired speakers and Wi-Fi speakers . I don't have a surround sound system, nor am I really looking for anything like that. I'm mostly looking for something that I can play my turntable through. I'm looking for something below $1700 .

I have heard good things about the SVS Prime Wireless Soundbase although I have never heard it. 150 watts x2 and does wireless speakers over wifi to my knowledge.

What are you doing about speakers?
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I listen to the turntable and streaming services equally. I assumed I would use wireless speakers like Sonos for the other rooms I am running music in. I would love to have recommendations on speakers too :D

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I listen to the turntable and streaming services equally. I assumed I would use wireless speakers like Sonos for the other rooms I am running music in. I would love to have recommendations on speakers too :D

You might want to look into the Bluesound products.

I think this plan would work 'really' well for you...

Get a Sonos Connect ($350), it has one set of analog inputs. You would need a 'phono preamp' to make that work. You hook up your TT to the phono preamp input and it's output to the Connect input. PP's can be as small as a pack of cigarettes and can cost less than 200. Now put some Sonos speakers anywhere you want and listen to your TT or stream to your hearts content.

It get's even better, lots of flexibility, but that will get you started.

Is this amp actually good?

For vinyl playback, I'd go with a more conventional approach, but for WIFI integration the Sonos seems to be popular. You may need to decide which you want to optimize.

Is this amp actually good?
How do you define "good"?

Sonos isn't (just) an amp. It's a system that uses speakers with a built-in amplifiers that connect via WiFi. You can put them in pairs to get stereo, distribute them around the house to get sound anywhere, and you control them from your smartphone, tablet or computer. They work very nicely with all the major streamed sources like Google Play, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

A Sonos Connect is part of the Sonos system that allows you to broadcast analog audio -- like that from a turntable -- to your Sonos speakers.

I would give serious thought to the Yamaha AS-801 @ $900. It comes in Silver and looks suitably retro. Spend the rest on new music.

It has a phono input a USB input and supports DSD/DSF files.
This is a good recommendation........but for $900, you can buy a receiver with the same quality amp from Yamaha and others that offers more flexibility including Bluetooth ( without an adaptor) and and WIFI and full pre-outs, and many more inputs and outputs in case you want to upgrade the amp someday and use the receiver for HT. Almost all receivers have "pure direct" these days (as does he AS 801) which bypasses DSP processing in case you are an audio purist using only vinyl.

Last edited:
This is a good recommendation........but for $900, you can buy a receiver with the same quality amp from Yamaha and others that offers more flexibility including Bluetooth ( without an adaptor) and and WIFI and full pre-outs, and many more inputs and outputs in case you want to upgrade the amp someday and use the receiver for HT. Almost all receivers have "pure direct" these days (as does he AS 801) which bypasses DSP processing in case you are an audio purist using only vinyl.

AS 801 doesn't have wifi built in, right? My thought was to pair the 801 with Sonos: Connect so that I could get streaming and add the wireless capabilities. What do you think?

AS 801 doesn't have wifi built in, right? My thought was to pair the 801 with Sonos: Connect so that I could get streaming and add the wireless capabilities. What do you think?
I presume you intend to use the Sonos: Connect to stream your turntable, yes?

Then use the Yamaha A-S801 to power wired speakers, yes?

What do you plan to stream the Sonos: Connect to?

I presume you intend to use Sonos speakers in rooms other than the one with the A-S801 and wired speakers?

No, AS 801 not a networking unit. In fact, it requires and adapter for Bluetooth. Someone else here will have to respond as to what units provide wireless connections to Sonos, assuming you are married to that brand of wireless speakers. I personally would not want a solution involving some adapter.

As a separates owner I'd go for an external Bluetooth adaptor. There are far more desirable integrated amplifiers without Bluetooth than with.

AFAIK none of the Yamaha integrated amps have Bluetooth.

What amps would you suggest?

What amps would you suggest?
I was responding specifically to the Yamaha AS 801. My opinion was that a similar priced receiver gives you the same amp performance and a lot more flexibility for the money. The RX A1070 attached is a good example. The bonus here is that this is an excellent vendor who also has bricks and mortar. Their site is also a good one for a Newbie to learn about basic audio and components. Check out the Marantz SR 7012 also. It is within your budget. I have reason to believe it's amp may be a bit better than the AS 801.....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RX...MI8s7bicec3gIVEAeGCh2oogJGEAAYASAAEgLKLfD_BwE

I was responding specifically to the Yamaha AS 801. My opinion was that a similar priced receiver gives you the same amp performance and a lot more flexibility for the money. The RX A1070 attached is a good example. The bonus here is that this is an excellent vendor who also has bricks and mortar. Their site is also a good one for a Newbie to learn about basic audio and components. Check out the Marantz SR 7012 also. It is within your budget. I have reason to believe it's amp may be a bit better than the AS 801.....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1070/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1070.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=304473261787&awdv=c&awkw=+yamaha++rx++a1070&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9052625&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8s7bicec3gIVEAeGCh2oogJGEAAYASAAEgLKLfD_BwE

I am not sure I need/ want a 7.2 system. I am not looking for surround sound.

Back
Top Bottom