Looking for a starter setup that can grow with time

Most people would say spend more on the speakers but since you're going to upgrade in the future you could spend most of the money on a receiver/amp or speakers (whichever you can get the best deal on first) and then upgrade the other when more money is available. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a good receiver/amp if you find one first even if it would cost over 50% of your budget. It could possibly save you money in the long run.

That's some good advice. I did some more reading and the AS500 seems to have a lot of great reviews and a loyal following.

The big question in my head: would a video receiver be a better way to go? Say a Yamaha RX-V681 so I'd get HDMI support as well? Or is the AMP quality huge between the AS500 and the V681?

I will definitely start hunting for the speakers you guys have listed.

edit: are Sanusi 530c speakers any good?

Depends on who you ask, but mostly depends on how important music vs HT sound is to you. My opinion is that at the 'entry level' you tend to favor one or the other. I'm a two-channel (stereo) fan, so that is my bias. I've never heard a HT receiver sound as good as a two-channel model at this level, and the AS-500 is a better amp than that included in their stereo receivers, mush less the HT specimens. Best to listen for yourself and make up your own mind rather than allow me, or someone who disagrees with me, to overly influence what you hear. Your ear, your money, your decision.

Last edited:
If I can get modern speakers to work, I did have my eye on a pair of JBL LSR-305 monitors...

These are really nice but certainly not vintage and not as versatile as you might like. They're powered monitors so an amp isn't necessary, but they require XLR or TS signal cables instead of speaker cables. And you'll soon want a subwoofer for them as they don't have much bass at all.

IMO, for the money when buying new you can't do much better. The ones he designed for Elac are even better although they cost a bit more. I know someone who has a pair of the FS-52's (fronts) along with the BS-22's (rears) and the matching center channel speaker (C-22). He's using a Parts Express subwoofer. The system sounds pretty good to me.

Back
Top Bottom