Looking for a tuner for my MA6100

When I last did an 80 for distortion I was using my old setup and didn't even try to measure below .1%, my new setup will go down to .001 on the analizer but my generator is only good for .008 will check the next one I get in.
Haven't had an MR85 on the bench so all I can say about it is that they are getting very good reviews.
I take the yahoo tuner group with a grain of salt, informative but the testing methodology and comparison chain leaves a lot to be desired. I have listened to many tuners from a EH Scott 800B (1946 mono) up to the Sansui TU models and the Kenwood KT's but not side by side all at one time, so I must rely on test data and my memory and I trust the data more.
Oh well, nothing beats the sound of a good tube tuner .............

Well ... the long list is the opinion of one person only, which is Jim Rivers. Jim is always in a defensive postion because people are dubious of everything: his testing methods, his equipment, his hearing, his room, his cats, etc... He would be the first to say his observations are not the be all and end all. YMMV. Certainly, not everyone agrees with him who hangs out on the forum.

OTOH, there are some very qualified technical people with tons of tuner experience who hang out on the forum. Regardless of what some people think of this or that tuner, the technical discussions as to what makes for a good tuner: including its RF stages, IF stage and filters, and MPX have been explored like no where else I know.

I would not discredit the entire group, just because of one relatively small aspect: which is Jim's tuner rankings. He is only one person. There is a lot more to the discussion group, than Jim's tuner reviews. There are a lot of differing views, which is good to see. Good discussions at times of tuner history and tuner design.

And yes, I agree, nothing like a good tube tuner (like my MR67). I just wonder sometimes how good is a circa 2004 MR85 ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom