Looking for a usb DAC/headphone amp/ with pre-outs

I've just modded my Schiit Sys passive "preamp" from 2 inputs->1 variable output to 1 input->1 fixed+1 variable outputs, fixed goes to a dedicated headphone amp with its own volume control, variable goes to active monitors, the push button on the SYS now controls which output is connected to the input. I know it is 3 boxes (DAC, SYS, Headphone amp) vs. 1 all-in-one but small form factor like those from Schiit will stack up nicely w/o taking too much desk space, and will provide more flexibility in the long run. Just a thought.

Also not sure why you originally said Jotunheheim is a no-go, it has variable outputs and mutes the single-ended output (but not the XLRs) when the headphones are plugged, this is what I found on the interwebs but double check with Schiit to be sure.

Last edited:
I've just modded my Schiit Sys passive "preamp" from 2 inputs->1 variable output to 1 input->1 fixed+1 variable outputs, fixed goes to a dedicated headphone amp with its own volume control, variable goes to active monitors, the push button on the SYS now controls which output is connected to the input. I know it is 3 boxes (DAC, SYS, Headphone amp) vs. 1 all-in-one but small form factor like those from Schiit will stack up nicely w/o taking too much desk space, and will provide more flexibility in the long run. Just a thought.

Also not sure why you originally said Jotunheheim is a no-go, it has variable outputs and mutes the single-ended output (but not the XLRs) when the headphones are plugged, this is what I found on the interwebs but double check with Schiit to be sure.

Seems to me that the RCA outs are not muted when headphones are plugged in,as that was my question to Schiit when I was really looking to buy....I will ask again,as I forgot already?! Huck

Schiit really need to work on adding more useful information and fewer jokes in their manuals.

This just came from Schiit regarding if the RCA outs are muted when headphones are plugged in: Quote "All outputs on the Jotunheim are active at all times. SO if you wanted to listen to headphones, you would need to turn down your speakers".....That would be a major PITA,as I would have to crawl behind my large computer table and turn 3 speakers down!..forget it! I thought I asked that a while back when I was interested in the Jot.Huck

Last edited:
This just came from Schiit regarding if the RCA outs are muted when headphones plugged in: Quote "All outputs on the Jotunheim are active at all times. SO if you wanted to listen to headphones, you would need to turn down your speakers".....I thought I asked that when I was interested in the Jot.Huck

Ugh, sounds like I misinterpreted what Jason of Schiit said on another forum. Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited:
Schiit Sys can be easily modded to do this:

DSC_3160.JPG

You can stack Modi, Magni, and modded Sys which will do what Huck wants all for $250 + S/H, well, you'd have to switch the outputs back and forth by hand.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing against schiit by any means but the 8 buck switch (or 40 for the swankier one) gives a way to plug in headphones and mute monitors without swinging cables.

I'm not sure what you're meaning about switching outputs by hand - turn of a knob, or pull and reseat RCA jacks?

(goes and reads)

Actually, an unmodded sys would do what a selector switch does, if one input was left open. however, it would add another volume knob to the mix and be a little pricier.

Last edited:
By hand meaning you'd need to push a button as opposed to just inserting a headphone jack. Yes, a simple A/B switch will do to with a DAC-pre that doesn't cut the outputs.

You could do a lot worse than the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus.

It has everything you are looking for, including XLR outputs, and fits easily into your budget. It has two digital inputs, both of which can be used with optical or coaxial, and also has digital output.

The only downside is that it requires an add-on (BT100) to be able to use BlueTooth.

Would you (or anyone) happen to know if the RCA/XLR outputs are muted when a headphone is plugged in on this Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus? Thanks,Huck

A concern for me about the DAC magic plus was the headphone output impedance of 30 ohm. That suggests you'd do best with 300 or 600 ohm cans - I know it'd sound awful with mine, as I've tried them with some higher impedance sources.

A concern for me about the DAC magic plus was the headphone output impedance of 30 ohm. That suggests you'd do best with 300 or 600 ohm cans - I know it'd sound awful with mine, as I've tried them with some higher impedance sources.

So,my 32 ohm RP-21's would not sound good with this DAC?.Thanks,Huck

So,my 32 ohm RP-21's would not sound good with this DAC?.Thanks,Huck

you could try them, but any deviation from a perfectly flat impedance curve in those cans would be painfully obvious in that setup, and very few headphones have ruler-flat impedance across the audio band so I would expect problems. Also, any damping you'd have would be mechanical rather than electronic.

there is a rule of thumb that it's a good idea to try to keep jack impedance to 1/8 or less of cans' nominal impedance. My Senn 598s sound awful with the receiver in my office and similarly bad with an otherwise nice Denon integrated.

they have an impedance hump at 100 hz, and a high impedance jack gives them a boomy, uncontrolled, one-note low end and little mid or high end.

These days I look for amps with 1 ohm jacks for flexibility - even a 10 ohm jack impedance would be too much, IMO, for a 32 ohm headphone.

there are lots of details given here:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

My first test is pretty simple - do the headphones match the timbre of my speakers? And in your setup you'll be doing that test immediately on delivery.

My "I'm returning the amp and here is why" was a little more complicated, as I measured the jack. Crutchfield was great about the return, though.

Last edited:
try Xiangsheng/grant-Fidelity Dac-01

has multiple (5) inputs (dual rca, optical, digital coax, USB), headphone output with volume control,
and dual pre-outs - tube and SS.

under $100 - just look carefully (make the one you're looking at has headphone vol control and is
wired for your AC).

spend the rest of the money on music and
then
enjoy the music

Back
Top Bottom