looking for an amplifier for mono vinyls. Any help?

RodrigoLanes

I have been a reader of AudioKarma for a long time, but this is my first post. I'm looking for an amplifier/receiver for mono vinyls. Any help?

Regular stereo amps can play mono records just fine. Is there some special configuration you want to run that precludes the use of a stereo amp?
Thank you very much. I don't have any in mind. I really like to listen to mono vinyls (Beatles, Dylan, Miles Davis), and I have an old Miida amplifier with the mono / stereo option, but it has several problems, I want to change it.

The old Eico tubers are a nice option. I have an HF12 that sings sweet, and bonus, has enough IO I can use it to provide a center channel for my Quad+ system and Oppo SACD.

It's purty too ... that's it in the middle on the top shelf.

eico-hf12a-bose.jpg

IF the OP wants a mono (integrated) amplifier with built-in MM phono preamp to play mono recordings through a single speaker -- there are some decent choices, albeit vintage ones.

The EICO HF-12 push-pull EL84 integrated amplifier mentioned earlier would be a fine choice. The EICO HF-52 could be an even better choice (if a bit harder to find and more expensive) if one were interested in pre-LP era monaural records (78s), because it has various phono preamp EQ curves built-in for the pre- 1948 Columbia records LP and RIAA EQ curve era (pre-early 1950s). EICO also made an interesting push-pull parallel integrated amplifier called the HF-32 (ca. 30 watts), but these are fairly uncommon.

The HF-52 is a really nice push-pull EL34 amplifier (ca. 50 watts) with variable loudness and a superb output transformer.
Wish I still had mine!
hf_52_568579.jpg

(stock, borrowed image, of course)

Other good (vintage) choices include the Sherwood S-1000and HH Scott "99" -- there are many others from the pre-stereo era from the likes of Grommes, Brook, Bogen, Bell, harman/kardon (and others that are escaping my recall as I type this).

Mono integrated solid state amplifiers are nearly unknown -- although there were/are a bevy of commercial sound reinforcement (mostly "PA" or intercom system) amplifiers from companies like Bogen and Raymey that could be used as mono amps for phono reproduction.

Wow, thanks!

IF the OP wants a mono (integrated) amplifier with built-in MM phono preamp to play mono recordings through a single speaker -- there are some decent choices, albeit vintage ones.

The EICO HF-12 push-pull EL84 integrated amplifier mentioned earlier would be a fine choice. The EICO HF-52 could be an even better choice (if a bit harder to find and more expensive) if one were interested in pre-LP era monaural records (78s), because it has various phono preamp EQ curves built-in for the pre- 1948 Columbia records LP and RIAA EQ curve era (pre-early 1950s). EICO also made an interesting push-pull parallel integrated amplifier called the HF-32 (ca. 30 watts), but these are fairly uncommon.

The HF-52 is a really nice push-pull EL34 amplifier (ca. 50 watts) with variable loudness and a superb output transformer.
Wish I still had mine!
hf_52_568579.jpg

Other good (vintage) choices include the Sherwood S-1000and HH Scott "99" -- there are many others from the pre-stereo era from the likes of Grommes, Brook, Bogen, Bell, harman/kardon (and others that are escaping my recall as I type this).

Mono integrated solid state amplifiers are nearly unknown -- although there were/are a bevy of commercial sound reinforcement (mostly "PA" or intercom system) amplifiers from companies like Bogen and Raymey that could be used as mono amps for phono reproduction.

Wish I still had mine!
hf_52_568579.jpg

Welcome! As mentioned previously, practically every amp or receiver will do fine with mono records. The one thing to bear in mind is the cartridge and stylus on your turntable. Many older mono records play better with a conical stylus as opposed to the ellipticals commonly used. Have fun!

Welcome to AK. Thanks for your introduction. I just use the mono switch on my pre. I have heard many people say cartridge and stylus are important for optimum performance.

I also have many mono records, both modern remastered stuff, (Beatles), and late 50s, early 60s stuff, (big band, classical). I recently purchased a AT-MONO3/LP cartridge and couldn't be happier. Works well with both the new and the old releases.

Welcome RorigoLanes
I love the mono sound as well
I listen to the ones you have mentioned plus hundreds of '60's stuff eg Mayall, Lightnin Hopkins, Blue Cheer etc.
I recently bought this E.A.R 834 plus the E.A.R 834p phono to go with it.
REAL expensive but sounds fantastic.
upload_2017-11-7_10-46-31.jpeg

Or, there's always the infamous "plan B" ...

califone-1430b.jpg

Actually picked up this lil gem at a local school rummage sale. Once the rage of your typical AV department, it has surprisingly good sound AND you can still get replacement cartridges and styluses ... er styli ... <G>

I've since ripped all my old 78 shellacs (Shellac? Shelli? Or shall I not go there?) to digital, but it's still fun to fire up the beast and spin a few when I'm bored.

Back
Top Bottom