Looking for an integrated amp

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by Mr Creosote, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Mr Creosote

Mr Creosote Active Member

I would like to purchase a new integrated amp. The top of my budget is $1000. For years I had mostly vintage amps, Yamaha CR-820, CR-620 and a Marantz 2245. The Marantz has been in use the last 8 years and finally I had to retire it. A future project. At the moment I have a Yamaha RX-397 filling in. This will be mostly for vinyl and CDs. I have no digital or streaming music. My equipment consist of Polk Monitor 10Bs and Technics SL-1210mk2. I been leaning towards a Yamaha A-S501. What are opinions on the 501? How does it compare to the 701 and 801? The 801s USB and DAC might bring me into modern times. And can I use the additional power of the 801? In that series, 301-801, does the 501 fall into the sweet spot? I mean the best bang for the money? Will it have synergy with the Polks? Compared to others like Marantz PM6006, Nad D3020, Rotel, Cambridge etc. What else should I consider? Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, suggestions etc.

2. Mr Creosote

I was hoping someone would have given me compelling reasons to get the A-S801. Lol.. I pulled the trigger on the A-S501, black. My wife thought from the pictures that the white letters on the black face was easer to see. It should arrive next week!

3. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

Nice, I would love to hear some new Yammie! I added to my Yammie collection 13 days ago, an R-V1105 early dolby digital surround receiver(listening to it right now, I really like the natural sound. It sounds just like my RX-950. You live close to my favorite place in the world, The Needles.

863613F2-F5F5-41E1-863E-9EF80C5C5538.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Mr Creosote

I'm 30 minutes from the entrance to Sequoia NP. I love it. My wife and I are retired now and we moved here from the Bay Area. We have our lifetime senior pass which is wonderful. My new Yammie should be here tomorrow. Excitement and anticipation! I'm researching a new cartridge for SL-1210. Leaning towards a Grado green.

5. charles 1973

charles 1973 Super Member

I did a quick search for the best stereo amp under $1,000 not long ago. And the Yamaha A-S801 made that list. They really liked it. They also really liked the Cambridge CX-A60 and the Rega Brio. So your amp is in very good company.

I have heard the Yamaha A-S500 amp my friend has, and must say, it sounds very good. I recently bought Yamaha's RX-A770 Dolby Atmos AVR. It sounds way better for stereo music than it has any right to considering it does so much more. So I would highly recommend Yamaha Amps, Receivers, and AVR's, Along with the aforementioned Rega and Cambridge amps.

Good luck!

Mr Creosote likes this.