looking for an integrated tube amp kit

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by TubeGator, Jan 11, 2019.

1. TubeGator

TubeGator AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm thinking about building a tube amp kit for a cd player /bluetooth / chromecast to pair with some Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Hoping to find something around 15-20 watts per channel and under $700.
    The Dynakit ST-35 looks interesting but I don't see a volume control or switched inputs. I would rather not add a preamp as that adds cost and complexity. Maybe Elekit or others? It would be nice to find something available now versus 6-8 weeks from now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. infullview

infullview AK Subscriber Subscriber

As a subscriber, you have access to Barter Town forum. The last time I looked there was an HH Scott integrated amp available that was restored for $700 - it sounds close to what you're describing, but I'm not sure if the output power is close enough.

3. TubeGator

yes I saw that and thought hard about it but decided I would like to do a build. I have a Scott 299B on the bench waiting to find a OPT :(

4. infullview

Bummer. That would be perfect if you can find an OPT. Have you tried doing WTB for this part on Barter?

5. TubeGator

yes, I placed a WTB add and have been trying to reach Heyboer with no luck

(did just get through, expecting a call back!)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. brud

brud AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’d consider Primary Windings in the UK

7. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

You can add a volume control to a Dynaco ST-35 and this will work for everything , but phono. & EFB mod from Dave Gillespie at Tronola Electronics is another worthwhile addition.

8. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

IIRC,
    Someone is marketing an SCA35 kit.
    I'll see if i can find a link

9. nj pheonix

http://www.erhard-audio.com/SCA-NG.html

No affiliation
    Not sure about price

Edit price at bottom of link.
    I don't think you have too many options
    (I hope I'm wrong)
    Looks like a nice kit though

10. infullview

I think all these clone Makers have gone under. There was http://tubes4hifi.com/SCA-NEW.htm, and also http://triodeelectronics.com/diy35kit.html . The first one is gone the second one does not respond to calls or email. Not to mention they are way more expensive than just buying a restored unit.

11. nj pheonix

Seemed like the OP wanted to build a kit.
    Also there are some improvements in the new kit .

12. TubeGator

I don't plan to need phono so maybe I could add a pot on the inputs and an input selector.
    I was looking at this dynakit ST-35 but notice a few suppliers make them.
    https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-35-kit-120-vac/

Dandy likes this.
  13. TubeGator

14. Gerry Lynch

Gerry Lynch New Member

15. nj pheonix

An ST35 is a power amp
    An SCA 35 is an integrated
    I'm not sure but I believe it's the same vendor

16. Gerry Lynch

Gerry Lynch New Member

Definitely not the same. Look at the circuit boards. Bob designed the input driver board and supplies very high quality parts with his dynakit clone. I built his M125 monoblocks that use the same driver board and am blown away by the detail and 3 demensionality of the soundstage. One of the most impressive sounding amplifiers I have ever heard.

17. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Different vendor (using mostly Dynakit parts) for sure and that SCA-35 with no tone controls looks like it's using the same circuit (input tube is the same) as the original ST-35 which Dynakit sells as a kit of parts or amp.

18. infullview

I love his stuff. These are just so well built. I might have to start squirreling money away for the 120 version:)

19. TubeGator

which one are you refering to when you sat "Bob", I get a little overloaded when looking at this stuff. tubes4hifi? I don't see a 35 at tubes4hifi

20. FlaCharlie

FlaCharlie AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm always looking for ways to get things done while spending less.

If you're looking to set up a second system, want tubes, and want to do some soldering I'd suggest finding a Magnavox (or similar) console pull and rebuilding it. You'll end up with something that sounds good at a fraction of the cost of the kits.

On the other hand, your Scott really is perfect for this so if you don't really plan on having two systems - which would require you to buy more speakers unless you have some already - I'd suggest that you find a cheap stop-gap solution and focus on getting the Scott up and running again. You are apparently in the process of doing just that.

Your speakers are quite efficient and don't really need much power. Something like this costs almost nothing, sounds surprisingly good, and would fulfill your need for music until the Scott is functioning again.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...attery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

I use one as part of my home office computer system. I also have a Fisher SA-16 PP 6BQ5 connected so I can choose between them. No need to spend hundreds of dollars when you already have a tube amp that is perfect for the job.