Looking for assistance on buying a “nice” multimeter

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So my backup meter died on me, was an older RadioShack model. I’m down to one meter at the moment which is a Fluke 27/FM

16CDE568-6198-4A47-B181-F88688B06D86.jpeg

For those that don’t know, it’s the military version of the 27 and is a trms or true rms reader and very accurate at 0.1vdc. It is literally built like a tank. I’m thinking while it was in service it didn’t get much use, because when I bought it it basically looked new. I also like the fact that it has a 1000 hour battery life on a 9v. Thing I really don’t like is the fact that it doesn’t have a backlight. There are times with the lighting on my bench that I have to move my head to get it to the right angle to see what the screen says. Also it can have trouble reading ac voltage sometimes. I think they call this ghost voltage where it’ll only read 60vac at my power outlets. So I’d like to get one that doesn’t have that issue.

Anyways, I like having two meters so that I can measure/monitor two channels at once etc. I’ve thought about a bench meter, but I don’t think I have the room so I’d like to stick with a handheld. I’ve read and read and read and read. I’m still not sure.

Ones on my radar:
Fluke 87V
Fluke 89IV (out of production)
Fluke 187 (out of production)
Fluke 189 (out of production)
Fluke 287 (not sure I’m a fan of the dot matrix display)
Agilent 1253b (love the oled display as it would be easy to read, but not thrilled about the display reading rate as numbers bounce all over the place making it harder to read a real number)

What are people using and what would you suggest. I’m kinda looking for a last me the next 30 year type dmm.

Dan

I have a Fluke 87, my second since the late 80s. I'd likely still have the first one if it hadn't been stolen. Something happens to it would likely get another.

If you can afford it, the 87v looks like the way to go. At work I think we use the 175, 177 and 179. At home I use the first version of the 77, that I bought new when they first came out. If I need some more advanced feature, I have things like a frequency counter and LCR meter on the bench. It's common now, but the need for true RMS is over rated. In 40 years of design work I've needed true RMS not more than a couple times. How often do you need an accurate voltage reading of anything other than a sine wave? There are also some Fluke meters aimed at HVAC and industrial work that have limited ranges for audio service. Avoid those. IMO, one of the most important features, and one that all Flukes do well, is the diode check function. There are some import meters that score high on features (see eevblog) but I just like the ruggedness of a Fluke.

If the lighting on my bench was so weak I couldn't read the LCD on a Fluke DMM, I can't imagine how I'd be remotely able to see well enough to fix anything.

That said, my fav DMM value for the bench is a Fluke 8840/8842. They have a VFD, so you can read them in the dark. But you don't have room - too bad...

TRMS is an option, but I agree - it's not too useful in a DMM primarily used for audio. Sometimes the TRMS meters have a better frequency response, though.

Last edited:
I have been using an elderly Fluke 77 daily for a very long time,and it's bulletproof. I recently snagged a Fluke 23 (basically an industrial-yellow 77) for small money,just to have a spare.

Also picked up a brand-new Fluke 117,complete with soft case,in a local pawn shop for far less than half MSRP,just because it had some extra features that would be convenient in daily use.I have really taken a liking to this little guy,even though it's supposedly aimed more at electricians than technicians.

And finally,I must confess that I bought one of these brand new in the 1980's,mainly because it had a transistor test function,haha! Like my Flukes,this Micronta (Radio Shack) bench multimeter has been bulletproof and perfectly accurate despite having lived a very rough life and having suffered much abuse on field calls.It's an old friend.

micronta_digital_multimeter_22_195_994154.jpg

I have a Fluke 87, my second since the late 80s. I'd likely still have the first one if it hadn't been stolen. Something happens to it would likely get another.

I see a lot of people say that about the 87V. Seems like a very solid meter and a favorite of many.

Fluke 77 II or 179

Thank you, the 179 will likely be a finalist in my decision as long as I can a decent one on eBay or whatever source. I’ll have to look into the 77II. You may have added another to my list!

If you can afford it, the 87v looks like the way to go. At work I think we use the 175, 177 and 179. At home I use the first version of the 77, that I bought new when they first came out. If I need some more advanced feature, I have things like a frequency counter and LCR meter on the bench. It's common now, but the need for true RMS is over rated. In 40 years of design work I've needed true RMS not more than a couple times. How often do you need an accurate voltage reading of anything other than a sine wave? There are also some Fluke meters aimed at HVAC and industrial work that have limited ranges for audio service. Avoid those. IMO, one of the most important features, and one that all Flukes do well, is the diode check function. There are some import meters that score high on features (see eevblog) but I just like the ruggedness of a Fluke.

I could swing the 87v. It is nice that it has has a capacitance meter, but I wouldn’t really use it. I have a peak Atlas esr meter that measures from 1uf to 20,000uf and tells me esr and leakage. I also have another LCR meter for lower capacitance measurements (and inductance/m, resistance). Another mention for the 179 and 77.

If the lighting on my bench was so weak I couldn't read the LCD on a Fluke DMM, I can't imagine how I'd be remotely able to see well enough to fix anything.

That said, my fav DMM value for the bench is a Fluke 8840/8842. They have a VFD, so you can read them in the dark. But you don't have room - too bad...

TRMS is an option, but I agree - it's not too useful in a DMM primarily used for audio. Sometimes the TRMS meters have a better frequency response, though.

I have four 4’ led strips above my bench that I made and the lighting is excellent. I prefer using the stand for the meter obviously and at times my lighting can cast a shadow or a glare over the screen as the light is directly above and I’ll either need to move my head to get my line of sight better or reach over and move the meter. I prefer not to do that when I have probes in a powered amp. I know if the display was backlit then I wouldn’t have the issue. I know it would seem simple to just place my meter where I can see it and leave it, but my bench is small so I use the meter then put it off to the side. Grab it when I need it.

I have been using an elderly Fluke 77 daily for a very long time,and it's bulletproof. I recently snagged a Fluke 23 (basically an industrial-yellow 77) for small money,just to have a spare.

Also picked up a brand-new Fluke 117,complete with soft case,in a local pawn shop for far less than half MSRP,just because it had some extra features that would be convenient in daily use.I have really taken a liking to this little guy,even though it's supposedly aimed more at electricians than technicians.

And finally,I must confess that I bought one of these brand new in the 1980's,mainly because it had a transistor test function,haha! Like my Flukes,this Micronta (Radio Shack) bench multimeter has been bulletproof and perfectly accurate despite having lived a very rough life and having suffered much abuse on field calls.It's an old friend.

micronta_digital_multimeter_22_195_994154.jpg

I used to have an old bench meter like that, nice! For transistor finction I use a Peak Atlas DCA 55 which tells me gain, leakage and a few other important things.

Anyone use an oled Agilent? Curious about those, specifically the 1253b. That model because Mr. Carlson form Mr. Carlson’s Lab uses that model. Anyone watch his videos on YouTube?

Dan

One other thing I like about Flukes is, at least for the ones I've used, is the battery seems to last forever. I change the 9V in my 77 maybe every 5 years or so, mostly because I fear leakage, not because it stops working. A meter is use a lot is my HP 3478a bench meter. They can often be had for little money and give you 4-wire ohm measurement and 5 1/2 digits. It's my go-to meter for amplifier bias measurements. They are not, however, for high voltage work.

One other thing I like about Flukes is, at least for the ones I've used, is the battery seems to last forever. I change the 9V in my 77 maybe every 5 years or so, mostly because I fear leakage, not because it stops working.

Same here,and I only use Duracell. For longevity and freedom from leakage,they can't be beat,regardless of price.I especially like the ''Standby'' mode that blanks the display after a period ( 1hr? ) of inactivity/forgetfulness to preserve battery life.Otherwise,I'd be changing them much more often:rolleyes:

Re: leakage, I am using NiMH batteries in all my meters. Micro Center sells the Tenergy "9V" batteries and I use a Maha charger to keep them up.

I also use NiMH in all remotes, usually now the Duracell Ion Core as I've been told that they are the same as Eneloop XX and they're inexpensively available at the grocery store. It's been a few years since I've seen a leaky alkaline in a piece of gear and I do not miss it at all.

I've got the Fluke 177. I've got quite a bit of test equipment, but I use the 177 for roughly 95% of the troubleshooting I do.

Art, I had the same Micronta bench meter. Your age is showing buddy!

This is a new Fluke 179, but it's for work. The Milwaukee is my personal meter, I have two of them on the bench. Neither the Fluke or the Milwaukee have diode check.
I do like the display on the Milwaukee better than the Fluke. It has to be lit tho, whereas the fluke only needs lit in the dark.

Attachments

• Fluke and Milwaukee01.jpg
    Fluke and Milwaukee01.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 63
I have a 189, 87v, and an 8050A. I have a few other bench meters also. The 87V is used the most.

This is a new Fluke 179, but it's for work. The Milwaukee is my personal meter, I have two of them on the bench. Neither the Fluke or the Milwaukee have diode check.
I do like the display on the Milwaukee better than the Fluke. It has to be lit tho, whereas the fluke only needs lit in the dark.
The Fluke has diode check.

I think I’ve just narrows it down to the 87v an 189. Is there any reason to get the 189 over the 87v?

Thinking of what either can do over my current 27/fm (other than light the screen)
Dan

I've had my 189 for a long time. It's never missed a beat. Great on batteries. We use alot of Fluke gear where I work.

Fluke 189
images (13).jpg
Another Fluke, the 289 is worth looking at.

Also another great brand to look out for is Keysight. Formally know as Agilent.
Keysight U1240A handheld digital multimeter.

images (14).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom