Looking for buyer's guide-like resource for Klipsch, especially older models.

sooner8888

I'm very interested in picking up some Klipsch speakers for my vintage setup, but am clueless of the brand beyond their renown efficiency, and over-generalized consensus on sound signature. I'm hoping for a sorta Klipsch 101 home crash course, or at least the Cliff Notes, especially regarding older models...something to educate me to help choose which models to begin searching for, and to audition. I have gleaned that a given model may have had an interesting evolution, with changes in their sound along the way. Also, room shape and size matter, and power sources and music styles can be important as well. What you know about other, more typical speaker designs might not transfer accurately to Klipsch. I want to understand and factor in the more important aspects of Klipsch speakers so to intelligently narrow my choices, and then jump into that rabbit hole to find the perfect match. I don't want to bother you kind people with relentless lines of questions, rather let the most pertinent questions filter to the top, and give other questions a chance to answer themselves.

FWIW, my setup waiting to welcome home the right addition to the family (this really is like adopting a pet or child, or child-pet) is a Thorens TD-166 MKII turntable, feeding a Pioneer SA-6500II integrated amp (conservative old school 30wpc), as well as input via a properly DAC'ed smartphone (FLAC or Spotify), and am excited to play with a Pioneer 707 reel to reel once it arrives from servicing. The room is an approximately 12' x 20' nicely finished basement with cork floors, of which the setup resides along a short wall (earth-side, as other three sides are barriers to outside or a storeroom), beaming into the greater length of the room.

Thanks much AK! You're awesome!

What's your budget?

Generally, in the world of Klipsch, the sound gets better as you get into a larger speaker.

The (all) horn loaded speakers are (in my opinion) "where it's at". The moment you bring a direct radiator woofer into the equation, your distortion is going to go up.

Something perhaps a bit counter-intuitive.... the Khorn (perhaps the largest "box" of them all) will actually take up LESS "room space" than the tiny Heresy (or HPM 100 or AR or something else)

Those other speakers are generally pulled "X" feet from the rear wall and "X" feet from the side wall whereas, the mighty Khorn is pushed tight into the corner and uses what is generally, dead space in the room.

They are likely the most space efficient speakers ever made (perhaps absent those that go into the ceiling or wall??)

I'm in Knoxville so if you ever find your way over here, you are welcome to hear some of my Klipsch speakers.

Something perhaps a bit counter-intuitive.... the Khorn (perhaps the largest "box" of them all) will actually take up LESS "room space" than the tiny Heresy (or HPM 100 or AR or something else)

Those other speakers are generally pulled "X" feet from the rear wall and "X" feet from the side wall whereas, the mighty Khorn is pushed tight into the corner and uses what is generally, dead space in the room.

Truth !!

What's your budget?

Thanks for you responses. At the moment, I could move from now-soon on the bottom of the line-up (KG4, Heresy, Forte, maybe even a really good deal on Cornwalls, as I see them on CL/Ebay...don't know where the Quartets fit it in at all). After that, I'll have to keep saving pennies, and sell off a few vintage items (basically everything you see here in the pic...Pioneer SX-850 receiver, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Polk Monitor 10s), which is my upgrading path and plan anyway. The down-sized Pioneer SA/TX-6500II integrated amp/tuner combo, and Thorens TD-166 MKII turntable are being serviced, and will replace the current line up in the attached mug shot, leaving the current gang unemployed.

The KHorns I think would be wonderful, if the space is wide enough for them (16' from side corner to corner as you see in the pic, and 31' deep from front to back wall). If the SA-6500II isn't enough muscle at 30wpc, I eventually would like to see that model number turn into a 9500II....end-game at that point. The other larger models such as La Scala, Belles, I don't think would work in my space, given their placement requirements. I might lean away from the Heresy, as it sounds like they are more light in bottom end compared to the those with radiators...but I admit ignorance on the sound signature on, well, all of them. Later adding a sub, would be perfectly fine with me. I would guess that it might be a thing to find one that is fast enough to keep up with whatever Klipsch are the main 2-channels.

IMG_20171030_080522748~2[372].jpg

I'm in Knoxville so if you ever find your way over here, you are welcome to hear some of my Klipsch speakers.

I really appreciate the offer, and the 2 hour drive to from Asheville would be worth it to me and my education to hear some, especially if it were to compare multiple models. Regardless, when in Asheville next, let me know so I can buy you a beer...we have a few choices. I really don't know how my history of vintage gear could have this gaping hole.

Thanks for you responses. At the moment, I could move from now-soon on the bottom of the line-up (KG4, Heresy, Forte, maybe even a really good deal on Cornwalls, as I see them on CL/Ebay...don't know where the Quartets fit it in at all). After that, I'll have to keep saving pennies, and sell off a few vintage items (basically everything you see here in the pic...Pioneer SX-850 receiver, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Polk Monitor 10s), which is my upgrading path and plan anyway. The down-sized Pioneer SA/TX-6500II integrated amp/tuner combo, and Thorens TD-166 MKII turntable are being serviced, and will replace the current line up in the attached mug shot, leaving the current gang unemployed.

The KHorns I think would be wonderful, if the space is wide enough for them (16' from side corner to corner as you see in the pic, and 31' deep from front to back wall). If the SA-6500II isn't enough muscle at 30wpc, I eventually would like to see that model number turn into a 9500II....end-game at that point. The other larger models such as La Scala, Belles, I don't think would work in my space, given their placement requirements. I might lean away from the Heresy, as it sounds like they are more light in bottom end compared to the those with radiators...but I admit ignorance on the sound signature on, well, all of them. Later adding a sub, would be perfectly fine with me. I would guess that it might be a thing to find one that is fast enough to keep up with whatever Klipsch are the main 2-channels.

View attachment 1035176

30 watts is more than enough for most of the Legacy line,especially the K-Horns.But make sure it is a quality amp.Every Klipsch Ive owned has been very revealing.Good luck in your search.

If I were within an easy drive to Coytee’s like you are, i’d definitely make the drive. He has several speakers that I’d love to hear (Jubilees, Danley Sub etc...). I’m trying to figure out how I can justify a trip that direction some day.

I really appreciate the offer, and the 2 hour drive to from Asheville would be worth it to me and my education to hear some, especially if it were to compare multiple models. Regardless, when in Asheville next, let me know so I can buy you a beer...we have a few choices. I really don't know how my history of vintage gear could have this gaping hole.

Well....so you don't feel like I snookered you.... I don't have Khorns.

I DO have LaScalas, I also have some active crossovers and....I have the Jubilee (which was originally intended to become the Klipschorn II)

So I can play something 'under' the Khorn (LaScala) and I can play something "over" the Khorn (Jube)

I can also do some mixing & matching.... if you can find a beater LaScala box, you can put the (huge) Jubilee horn on top and have some genuine killer sound. I can put a stock LaScala next to an (actively biamped) "JubeScala" (LaScala bass bin with the Jubilee top end)

Your head will be spinning and you'll start planning to have 5 more children so you could sell them to fund your new desire...

ok, maybe 6-7 children... :yikes:

If I were within an easy drive to Coytee’s like you are, i’d definitely make the drive. He has several speakers that I’d love to hear (Jubilees, Danley Sub etc...). I’m trying to figure out how I can justify a trip that direction some day.

Well....I used to live in Sioux City (after college) so you could look at it as visiting a long lost cousin...

Was genuinely one of the best places I've ever lived (with regard to the people there). I could pass on the winter but I absolutely fell in love with the people I met.

Well....I used to live in Sioux City (after college) so you could look at it as visiting a long lost cousin...

Was genuinely one of the best places I've ever lived (with regard to the people there). I could pass on the winter but I absolutely fell in love with the people I met.
Well cuz, I’ve always wanted to take a motorcycle trip over your way so I’ll have to see what I can do. I’ve been bitten by the horn bug and I’d really like to hear your larger horns.

I completely agree about the people here, wonderful. It’s a good place to call home, even with the winters.

I have installed all Heritage Klipsch from the past, and directly out of the box with no feyness the Cornwall wins hands down. I lived with a pair of the early models before the later crossover networks to improve power handling and those are the models I still prefer. Some of the later MK I and II modes had a nastly peak around 6 khz that I couldn't tolerate when they added the 18 db per octave cross over filter to protect the the tweeters. Now if you are willing to go thru the excercise of setting up your speakers and listening position, even going as far as to use room equalization or Room perfect by Lyngdorf, a pair of Corner horns will just amaze you. But it takes a lot of effort and knowledge to get them voiced just right. You may find you want to add a center speaker if the center image is unfocused and hazy. I prefer to sit just behind where the centerline of the Klipschorn intersects the room. Some times you may want to sit even a little further back to moderate the highs. But thats your choice. Some times room resonances make it difficult to get the tonal balance of the system versus the acoustic definition of the speakers in the room to match up. And thats where room voicing or Room Perfect can really help. But remember you can only change the direct sound of the speaker, and if you are trying to correct the sonic balance because of room acoustics the only true answer is to treat the room to correct for the listening space irregularities. In that respect a Cornwall is more flexible. If you choose to compromise and not chose a Klipschorn, go on and go to Cornwalls. Belles and La Scalsas sacrifice to much extended bass response for my taste.

Last edited:
I have Khorns. I wish I had your room. Seems you have perfect corners and the dimensions are great, too. No, they don't come cheap, but they are worth waiting a little longer until you get the new stuff in, the old stuff sold and pennies accumulated. Put 'em in the corners of that 16' wall and grin like an idiot.

Well cuz, I’ve always wanted to take a motorcycle trip over your way so I’ll have to see what I can do. I’ve been bitten by the horn bug and I’d really like to hear your larger horns.

I completely agree about the people here, wonderful. It’s a good place to call home, even with the winters.

If you're smitten enough with horns... I have some bass bins you could have for free. (doubt they'd fit on the back of your bike....even if you had a bike trailer)

Anyways, they're a double 15" MWM bass bin and I do NOT have any drivers in them (I got them without drivers, I have BOUGHT drivers, just haven't installed them but the drivers aren't included in the 'free' part)

The bass bins you could have for free... If you got the "proper" driver in them (Klipsch K43) they are about $250 each and a total of four are needed. I was going to put the "lessor" K33 in them. They were originally designed around the K33 but people kept blowing them so they went to the K43.

None the less.... honest offer. I have two bins you could have for free....load them up, fix them up and go from there.

(expect to get an active crossover with them BUT, add a K402 on top of them and they'll crush the Jubilee's (says the owner of the Jubilee))

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2jubmwm.jpg
    2jubmwm.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 18
If you're smitten enough with horns... I have some bass bins you could have for free. (doubt they'd fit on the back of your bike....even if you had a bike trailer)

Anyways, they're a double 15" MWM bass bin and I do NOT have any drivers in them (I got them without drivers, I have BOUGHT drivers, just haven't installed them but the drivers aren't included in the 'free' part)

The bass bins you could have for free... If you got the "proper" driver in them (Klipsch K43) they are about $250 each and a total of four are needed. I was going to put the "lessor" K33 in them. They were originally designed around the K33 but people kept blowing them so they went to the K43.

None the less.... honest offer. I have two bins you could have for free....load them up, fix them up and go from there.

(expect to get an active crossover with them BUT, add a K402 on top of them and they'll crush the Jubilee's (says the owner of the Jubilee))

Hmm. I’m seriously considering this. I think I could use these with my business. I could trailer my bike, (with a car trailer) ride for a few days, and come back with some new audio experiences and horn bass bins. Sounds like a win-win, let me think about how i can work it out.

K402’s are on my list to listen to/try

Back
Top Bottom