Looking for caps in Dallas

Charlie

At Sea
Does anyone in the DFW area know of a good place to go buy capacitors over the counter? Looking for electrolytics and orange drops... at least 400 to 600 working volts. If you know of a place in Dallas, please post it here... name of the place and a street location if possible.

Thanks.

Charlie said:
Does anyone in the DFW area know of a good place to go buy capacitors over the counter? Looking for electrolytics and orange drops... at least 400 to 600 working volts. If you know of a place in Dallas, please post it here... name of the place and a street location if possible.

Thanks.

Charlie,

If you can find what you want at Mouser and have enough of an order, you can pick up your order at their headquarters in Mansfield. They generally frown on customer pickups but do allow it for emergencies. They do not have a showroom, but you can get stuff in a hurry (2-3 hours) and save on shipping. I would suggest that you have a $50.00 minimum order.

I expect to be ordering some caps, etc. in the next couple of weeks so if you would like to get together and pool our resources to make a minumum order, let me know. I usually have to wait for a couple of months before I get enough of an order so I understand the frustration.

rich

Thanks for the reply, Rich.

Actually, I buy my stuff online or at a store in Beaumont. i was asking about Dallas because a friend up that way had inquired and I told him there had to be someplace up there to walk in and buy what he needed.

Caps in DFW

Tanner Electronics in Carrollton is a goldmine for caps and tons of other stuff, all reasonably priced. It's like a supermarket, pick up a basket and keep up with the prices yourself. Plus, a helpful, friendly,staff . They are truly a mom and pop, but very large operation. Open on Saturdays, too. They're easy to get to--just take Valwood west from I-35. It's about a half mile..see Tannner on your right..the headquarters for The Container Store is on your left.

There is also Allied Electronics in Ft. Worth..haven't been there, but a friend says you can't see the inventory like at Tanner. You have to see the parts clerk at the counter and he steps and fetches.

There's also Alltex in far N. Dallas, you can see the inventory + help yourself, but it seems to be more PC oriented.

Hope this helps!

EP

re: Tanner's

Tanner's is an abosolute dream for the electronic tinkerer, but alas they don't tend to stock caps >50V except for the ceramic disk variety and the occasional oddball 200-500V stock. In my tube radio restos, I typically find one or two of the caps in my list. Everything else turns up to be a bust for tube-level hardware. Online is still your best bet.

For transistorized/computer equpment, it's an abosolute must-go-to. Resistors in the dime range each for 1/2W and they even stock 1 & 2W in a slew of ranges. Power resistors of any size. As long as you're <50V, they've got every imaginable type of cap you'd need. Transistors out the wazoo, diodes of any spec, TTL/CMOS logic, you name it. They are also the best place in DFW for cables -- $3 gets USB 10' or Firewire or 10' Ethernet (beat THAT Fry's!). Hard-to-find things like an VGA HD15 Male-male low-profile gender bender go for all of $4. Gold-series Rat shack (Monster-clone) cables surplus for $5-ish....worth a stop if you can spare the time. They stock a whole slew of stepper motors, gear drives, belts, pullys that the robot builders like too. VERY friendly staff.

I have bought quite a few 400V plug in electrolytics there but haven'y been in a while. There are usually Sprauge Orange drops and other caps in low values and high voltages suitable for coupling caps in tube gear. You can get raw drivers, knobs, transisters, tools and magazines there. Last time I was up there I picked up some 8" Vifa woofers for $30 ea. Inventory changes fairly quickly since it is all closeouts.

Back
Top Bottom