Looking for comments on latest Conrad Johnson tube pre-amps and amps..

Phaster

Considering some new tube gear and change up my listening collection of solid state somewhat. I am considering the ET5 preamp and the LP125SA+. Wanted to know any thing else to consider testing. I am free to buy what I want just shopping. I am in the sticks as they say so I have to look at reviews and will test out some equipment to seal the deal.

As this message is created I am listening to my ET5 and ARTsa. The LP125SA is not quite as fancy, uses somewhat lesser caps and transformers, but is the same circuit as the ARTsa. If there is a difference in sound, I have read there is, it would have to be very subtle. Actually I ordered an LP125SA, but the ARTsa was sent through error and I just decided to keep it. But I know the LP125SA would have been quite satisfactory. There is something about the sound of cj that is special. I considered Audio Research, McIntosh, PS Audio, too, but after carefully listening to each on the same speakers (Sony SS AR2), the cj sound was "IT" for me. Mine are now almost 2 years old and getting to the time for the first tube change (a $500 event) and the whole system, which also includes a TEA2MAX phono stage, sounds just amazing. I can and do listen to it for hours on end and it never causes listener's fatigue. Once in a while I get to hear other top grade stuff and always find something about other electronics that just doesn't measure up. I have never heard cj products that did not sound really good, they are well built, trouble free and the company stands behind them if necessary. While I know that all of the companies mentioned make first class products, my choice is one that I don't regret. You can't go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom