Looking for decent mini amp.

Gingahippy

I am looking for something that I can plug an iPhone or laptop into that will power a decent set of smallish bookshelf speakers. Doesn't need to be too high quality but not a piece of junk cheap. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations. I'm not a fan of the tinny sound of portable speakers and iPhone docking stations. Not needing battery powered, mains power is good.

Are any of these 6x8" things I see on Amazon worth considering?

Tascam PA-30B amps are 30 wpc and work well with iPod or iPhone powered music into bookshelves. They'll even work on larger speakers which have sensitivity around the high 90's to over 100dB.

For little scratch you can get the above mentioned amps. They work GREAT near-field. I can't believe what these things go for now.

I bought one of the TPA 3116 amp modules off of eBay and it really does sound nice.
I stuffed it in a spare plastic box, added some speaker terminals and power it with a laptop power brick.
Just for giggles I ran the thing into soft clipping with 4 ohm resistors at 100hz for like 20 minutes and it didn't even get warm. My load resistors were cooking though.
If you want something small you really can't go wrong. They have them already in cases with Bluetooth for a bit more money as well.

I've got one of these. It's rated to 50WPC @ 4 Ohms. The power supply is 4.5A. So unlike many "chip" amps it's not completely starved for input power. It also comes in a Black face version. It has only one pair of input RCA's. I like it better than the $25 Lepai 2020a (I have one) which comes with an inadequate power supply.
S.M.S.L. SA50 $65 @ Amazon.
419-0W0B2-L.jpg

The Lepai 7498 is just the ticket for what you want, imo. I own at least three of these things, and they sound far, FAR better then they have any right to.

one set of rca inputs,
along with AptX bluetooth
5 way binding post outputs and 100 wpc,

I've driven my best speakers, my Infinity Renassaince 90's with one of these to VERY loud levels with no audible distortion.
I have one of these and a pair of Infinity Infintesimals as my 'portable' system.
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...with-bluetooth-aptx-and-power-supply--310-298
310-298_ALT_1.jpg

I'm not exaggerating or kidding, this is one great little (it is tiny) amp.

I think it's interesting that us old coots are recommending TPAs, SMSLs and Lepais!

When considering the OP's request of a mini amp we all come up with Chinese gear that sounds pretty good, doesn't cost much and looks good. If I was starting out, right now, not as a restorer or vintage aficionado, I would likely consider a small amp along the same lines. You simply get so much bang for your buck.

Yes, they look like toys, but they don't sound like toys. Not ultimate HiFi in any sense, but as a value proposition, they cannot be beaten.

Buy one, listen to it and use it as a low cost springboard into HiFi- if you like it and want more, it's a slippery and expensive slope. If you're happy, relax and listen for a while and be assured you didn't waste a stack of money on something you didn't need.

Cheers. :)

The SMSL SA-98E seems to get a lot of good press. About $100, give or take. A lot of power in a little package. Maybe more than you need.

I don't have one, but I have other SMSL products that have yet to disappoint. There's a current discussion on topic over on the New Gear - Values forum: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/smsl-sa-98e-what-is-the-dark-magic.793505/.

I have one of these - great little amp with plenty of power, I use it mainly for testing, make sure you use an adequate power supply for it

I think it's interesting that us old coots are recommending TPAs, SMSLs and Lepais!

When considering the OP's request of a mini amp we all come up with Chinese gear that sounds pretty good, doesn't cost much and looks good. If I was starting out, right now, not as a restorer or vintage aficionado, I would likely consider a small amp along the same lines. You simply get so much bang for your buck.

Yes, they look like toys, but they don't sound like toys. Not ultimate HiFi in any sense, but as a value proposition, they cannot be beaten.

Buy one, listen to it and use it as a low cost springboard into HiFi- if you like it and want more, it's a slippery and expensive slope. If you're happy, relax and listen for a while and be assured you didn't waste a stack of money on something you didn't need.

Cheers. :)

I wish these amps had been around when I was a kid. My first amp, a Marantz 1030, cost me a month's pay. If T-amps had been around at the time, I could have bought one with a week's school lunch money [adjusted for inflation].

I've got the newer Lepai 2020ti. Imo, it sounds really good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom