Looking for decent mini amp.

So, do these amps with the built-in SD-card readers/USB-drive readers,... do they actually play files right from the card?

The Bluetooth thangs,...
Help a feeble helpless old man figure this stuff out.

My Mac has bluetooth.
What are the capablilities of this bluetooth recv'r thing?
Do they handle... High-res 24xx files? Flac?

So, do these amps with the built-in SD-card readers/USB-drive readers,... do they actually play files right from the card?

The Bluetooth thangs,...

My Mac has bluetooth.

https://www.aptx.com/

Thanks for the link.........so they are 76db? If that is true and that little amp does that well, that is very impressive.
Dunno about numbers but I can say that that lil' bugger plays the decades as loud, and cleanly, as I can want.

In the early days, I was able to overdrive the power supply causing it to shut down momentarily but ever since then, as long as I keep it to reasonable (still loud) levels, it hasn't complained at all.

But, hey, it's a tiny $25 amp driven by a wall wart that's rated for 20 wpc. It ain't no crown amp.

But, yeah, for this application, I'd buy it again.

can anyone comment on the comparison between the tpa3116 family and the tda7498? the massdrop on the SMSL SA-98E is tempting... (i have a bunch of 3116/3118 as well as the tpa3250 evaluation board)

The Bluetooth thangs,...

My Mac has bluetooth.

Play WMA/MP3 etc right from the USB stick or a microSD card- they have up/down track search buttons on the board and the remotes. The bluetooth is seamless 4.0 and works better than any bluetooth device I've ever used. Gives about 25M range from an iPhone or iPad or whatever. You can also connect a Win10 laptop via bluetooth and stream whatever you want to it, adjusting the volume on the PC.

In short, they are amazing for AU$11.99.

I've bought a few of these for my boy's rooms- running from an old laptop 19V 3.6A supply, they are insane.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPA3116...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 (no afil)

bluetooth thingo.JPG

Thank you!
I've just acquired a mid-40's radio/phono cabinet. It is complete, and not in bad shape. I was thinking about leaving it intact, maybe cleaning up the exterior of the cabinet, and discretely fitting it with one of these mini systems. My wife love the cabinet, so it has that WAF thing going on before the project begins.
I've been eyeballing a couple of pre-built rigs that have little monitors in them, as a self contained rig.

So many choices. Think I'll begin with the Lepai 2020D and if that works it'll go to my smaller massage room (heard ALL the jokes) and then I'll try the SMSL for the bigger space. Pretty sure the Klipsch 5.1 surround with 12" sub is overkill for flutes and waterfalls. Great for thunder though. I keep looking out the window for storm clouds.

Edit: Eh, no, I'm liking the look of a pre-assembled TPA 3116 unit from Nobsound on Amazon. Sounds like a tube pre amp may be able to work well with it later.

Last edited:
Also wondering if anyone has any input on the difference between tpa3116 family and the tda7498 or 7492?

Right now it's down to one or the other.

I'm using a Lepy 2020a to power some Design Acoustics PS-10s. Decent sound to a decent volume. I was surprised you can feel some bass.
DSCN7066.JPG

I went with the Lepy 2020a for $20. It was shocking how well it powered my ESS Model 8 speakers, nice and clean up to max volume and way more than I'd ever need for work.

I'll use this for the smaller room and get something with a tda7498 50w per channel to run the better speakers in the bigger venue.

All you new Lepai(y) owners should consider buying an upgraded power supply. The difference is obvious and significant. A 6A LCD power supply is $10 @ Amazon.

can anyone comment on the comparison between the tpa3116 family and the tda7498? the massdrop on the SMSL SA-98E is tempting... (i have a bunch of 3116/3118 as well as the tpa3250 evaluation board)

I have both, along with both single and dual chip versions of the tpa3116. I bought the cheapest cased versions of each I could find (all lacked power supplies). Both tpa3116 are breeze audio, the tda7498 is zhilai audio. My breeze units have the gain fix (gain lowered to 20db). The main difference is power requirements, the tda7498 really needs 24v+ to have good bass. I was running 3x12v batteries in series on it for 36v, and it was really nice, clean and loud.My tpa3116 sound much better at 12v than the tda7498 did (tighter, stronger bass). All of them had hiss with nothing playing and volume turned past 75%. But gain fix made both tpa3116 units silent at full volume with no signal.I feel like the tda7498 at 36v had the tightest bass. But I got tired of recharging, and maintaining 3 batteries to keep it fed.If I could find a cheap 36v regulated psu I would probably run the tda7498. But I've been using the dual chip tpa3116 with gain fix with a pyramid pskx8 power supply because I had it laying around, and no more juggling batteries, and power very similar to tda7498 at 36v.

I second the Emotiva Mini X. I use mine with a Mavarick Tube Magic DAC/Pre and seems to be a very nice combination.

Which one?

This is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Selectec-12-...0838883&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+6amp+power+supply

715O2P9i9GL._SL1200_.jpg

Difference in just power or quality of sound too?

There is a big difference in power. The original Wall Wart is only an Amp or so. With it the chip can't possibly produce anywhere near what it's capable of. More power results in better, louder and much cleaner sound especially at higher volumes.

Back
Top Bottom