Looking for decent mini amp.

Thanks for the link.........so they are 76db? If that is true and that little amp does that well, that is very impressive.

The devil is in the detail. Be sure you're making an apples to apples comparison re. the sensitivity spec.

All you new Lepai(y) owners should consider buying an upgraded power supply. The difference is obvious and significant. A 6A LCD power supply is $10 @ Amazon.
So you think my 300 watt computer power supply isn't cutting it?

I believe the true context of that is regarding the 1A or whatever PS is OEM supplied with that amp.

With my TPA3116 I don't hear any basic SQ difference between a 19V 12A computer brick vs 60A TrippLite 12V suppy, or other 12V supplies (eg SLA batteries). Yes, there is a difference in output capability with the higher voltage but the basic SQ within the limits of either to me is unchanged.

I believe the tpa3116 was measured to have a max draw of around 4A. So the dual chip versions should have a max draw around 8A. IME, being current limited will limit bass output, that was my experience using a 12v 2A psu compared to a 12v 8A, and SLA batteries.

I believe the tpa3116 was measured to have a max draw of around 4A. So the dual chip versions should have a max draw around 8A. IME, being current limited will limit bass output, that was my experience using a 12v 2A psu compared to a 12v 8A, and SLA batteries.

I've got one of the two chip 3116 boards and with my 14v/4A linear supply it will dim the "on" indicator with the beat if I'm putting some bass heavy music through it. I'd agree these need a pretty stout supply to sound their best if you are going to ask them to produce bass.

I've got one of the two chip 3116 boards and with my 14v/4A linear supply it will dim the "on" indicator with the beat if I'm putting some bass heavy music through it. I'd agree these need a pretty stout supply to sound their best if you are going to ask them to produce bass.

More isn't necessarily better though. I was just comparing my pyramid 8A max linear regulated to my no name 12v, 40A max switching. The switching definitely had more bass, but it was noticeably more bloated bass.

I have a fx audio d802c, plenty of digital inputs, bluetooth and analog inputs on some versions 80watts?

A Toshiba M5 is a killer little amplifier.
aurex-scm15-power-amp-pi-898.html

Not a bad thing to have more amps on tap, however you really need increased voltage to get a wider range of low distortion power.

Gleaned from the TI TPA 3116/3118 factsheet:
12v will only give you 7-8 watts @ 8 ohms before you hit a wall of distortion.
14v will produce 12 watts @ 8 ohms
19v gives you 20 clean watts @ 8 ohms
Upgrade to 24v and you'll get something around 30 watts of low distortion power, also @ 8 ohms.

THD varies slightly with voltage, but doesn't appear to be consistent, thus, I doubt any one voltage is actually better than another within a given power range.
Certainly, I don't hear any difference.

Push things to the point where you're drawing 7-8 amps of current and the power protection circuit [PLIMIT] will trip.

Back
Top Bottom