Looking for DIY Tube amp design

H713

New to the forum, I'm looking to build an amp in the 25-40W range, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good push-pull design using EL34s or 6L6s. I'm open to other tubes as well, but I'd like to stick with common and inexpensive tubes (preferably not KT88s). Given that I'm somewhat new to this, I'd like to keep the price of the transformers under $200 if I can. I'm looking at the Oddwatt 225, but I haven't found a lot of feedback on how it sounds. I intend to use this with 4-ohm Elac speakers (BS203.2). Currently the room is relatively small, but that may change in the near future.

Thanks for the help guys.

One thing you might try if you haven't already is to search (6L6 push pull tube amp schematic) on the web for example and will probably come up with lot of options. One thing you could also do it look up a classic amp and try to recreate it. Whatever way you go, you can pick the output transformers to match your speakers, but I would try to pick transformers with several taps so if you decide to change speakers your amp will be ready.

Seems like an ST-70 would fit the bill nicely for what you're trying to do, and they're still available in kit form from tubes4hifi and others (no affil) if you want to build one. Not the most exotic amp, but I love mine. 4 ohm taps, and can run a variety of power tubes, including el34 and kt-series.

Seems like an ST-70 would fit the bill nicely for what you're trying to do, and they're still available in kit form from tubes4hifi and others (no affil) if you want to build one. Not the most exotic amp, but I love mine. 4 ohm taps, and can run a variety of power tubes, including el34 and kt-series.
I have one the VTA ST-70 kits. Nice kits, great instructions and very good support. bberkom is right. Lots of tubes you can use. 5881, el34, kt66,77,88, 6ca7, 6550's, etc. The reason I went with the tubes4hihi version is because you dont have to have matched output tubes. Each tube has its own bias pot. Also you can use many difderent 12au7 driver types. 6sn7, 12au7,12bh7, ecc99, e80cc's etc due to the larger power transformer.

How possible would it be to use a different transformer with the ST70 design? I already have a lot of the stuff, mostly I just need the transformers, but the ST70 transformers are a little more expensive than I was hoping for.

I was looking at this in particular (they also have a 50W version)
https://www.edcorusa.com/cxpp30-5k

Back
Top Bottom