Looking for first DAC

Discussion in 'DACs' started by concertfiend, Jan 11, 2018.

1. concertfiend

concertfiend AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had thought about the Topping but had seen issues about using it with Windows 10 which is my OS. However, I decided to look at what people on Massdrop were saying about the M8A and it seems like there's a fair amount of problems to be fixed before I'd be comfortable buying one considering that any problems after 30 days aren't covered by Massdrop. I was looking at comments on the Topping and it seems like the main problem with it is software and firmware related to Windows 10 and the drivers available for the D30. But after reading every comment, it looks like if you have the Creators update for 10 like I do, then it shouldn't be a problem. Also a couple people said their drivers for their M8s also worked for the Topping in Windows 10. So it looks like I'm going to get the Topping after all. I'm thinking of getting it off Amazon so that it's "fulfilled" by them... I can get it in a couple days and don't have to worry about anything fishy. A little more than Massdrop but I can get it sooner and insure it with a protection plan too :)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

3. concertfiend

Good to know, I'm just not very savvy with software type stuff but I should be fine by the sound of it. Shenzhenaudio isn't a buying option any longer, but I'm hoping the odds of getting a "fake" is minimal. I can take it apart when it shows up and compare it to the pictures I found on here to see if it looks good... Worst case scenario I return it through Amazon

4. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

I don't believe "fake" is the right word.... perhaps "different revision that was functionally identical." See here, third post from the bottom:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7flq8w/topping_d30_showed_up_the_other_day/

5. malamute

malamute New Member

I got the SMSL B1 as my first time DAC to go with my Sansui AU/TU-717 combo. It's probably the best $60 bucks I've spent on audio. Does exactly what I wanted it to do; which was to stream stuff from my phone. I've also started to bring it to work as a headphone amplifier for my Sony XBA-A2 IEM's. It has an internal battery that allows 24 hours of usage without being plugged in. There are many good choices out there; this one worked for me.

6. concertfiend

That's good to know, I suppose looking at the chip would be a good indicator.

I've spent a few hours listening to it and so far it sounds great. Do they get better with a break in period to let caps form? Hooked up to my Heathkit amp and Tannoys using Tidal the sound is pretty incredible, the best I've heard in my experience (including what I've heard on the top setup in the local best buy magnolia room). I can't wait to see what it sounds like when I can afford the tube preamp I want instead of using my Sansui Eight! I ordered a longer 6 foot USB cable for the Topping that is RFI shielded and has gold plated connectors.

I have my Dragonfly DAC that I'm planning to use with my phone once Tidal upgrades the app service to allow MQA

E.Auer likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. jwest1197

jwest1197 New Member

Well, I got an NAD DAC 2 because I'm using a laptop and need a little bit of distance between the computer and the Hi-Fi. It's pretty good for what it is. My
    dad has a Schiit Modi 2 Uber because it has 3 inputs. It sounds a little less harsh, and suffers from less jitter than the NAD, also a fine.