Looking for first turntable

View attachment 1386116 IConsider the Technics SL-D3. Sold these new. Nice deck. It will make a CD sound off. Like something isn’t right. Be patient in your search. There are still deals out there. Found this for $150. An odd and rare BSR 810. Married to Dual 1219s but had to have this. And it works well. Good luck!
That BSR looks more than a bit like a P/E, with the push buttons.

The Technics SL D3 seems to be one to keep my eye on - the Seller still has it for sale and it was listed as 200 o.b.o. so after a month he is most likely open to a reasonable offer. The thought of finding something higher up for a good price would be nice but again, as long as it is a known " performs above its class" turntable I will buy it. The Hitachis have received consistent praise so looking at that PS 12 at 180.00 but is the PS48 offered for 300.00 the better deal? Learning about all of the various brands and models can be quite a task though it does not take long to see which ones are quite average, hence why the D3 appears to be one of those that are better sounding in it's price range.

I noticed a rather inexpensive Audio Technica cartridge that sells for very little that has gotten a lot of attention here lately, seems like it might be a good starting point if one is needed.

Saw a seemingly nice Pioneer PL 540 for 275.00 - would ( for the money ) this be a better choice over the Technics SL D3 at 200 ( probably can get it for 175.00, maybe less ). I seem to be aiming for a good Technics fully auto or Pioneer to keep it much simpler.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/ele/d/port-coquitlam-turntable-record-player/6793657115.html

Here's one near you. Dual 1214 - according to the seller, professionally serviced and new stylus. Good price imho. Not affiliated in any way.

OP, you may want to look at this. Even though it’s a low end they sound really good. I just serviced one of these for our local record store. The auto cycle was not working at all. With a clean and regrease all is well. Keep it a week. Ran without a glitch.

If you do look at EBay make sure the seller packs well. I sent a 1219 to Florida from NY. Removed moved platter, counter weight, and headshell (sled). Had a box for the dustcover, base and main unit. Beware it is expensive. Three cartons, lots of padding then shipping. The deck was double boxed as was the dust cover. Shipping alone was $100.

Good luck in your search. The suggestions on Japanese built tables is a no brainer. They are all good.

Found a Pioneer PL 514 for 80.00 Cdn., plus whatever the shipping might cost. It is supposedly in good working order and has a Sumito Black Pearl cartridge. Any thoughts?

That Dual appears to have sold, though I think I would prefer a decent Japanese table.

Found a Pioneer PL 514 for 80.00 Cdn., plus whatever the shipping might cost. It is supposedly in good working order and has a Sumito Black Pearl cartridge. Any thoughts?

That Dual appears to have sold, though I think I would prefer a decent Japanese table.

Looks like a nice table, I like Pioneer, but don't discount the Dual's great German engineering.

Always something to help me continue to be undecided - saw one JVC QL A5 for 240.00 completely serviced etc, then another one in supposedly pretty good condition for 160.00 with a stereo receiver ( nothing special ) and lastly one for 100.00 o.b.o. sans dust cover but I imagine there must be some out there that would fit if really needed It seems JVC was part of Panasonic ( Technics ) back then which is a plus. I have read that the better JVCs tended to be a bit better than their Technics equivalent, not sure just how true that is.

JVC was part of Panasonic but usually not in name. They were known as Victor at one time. Kenwood (nudge nudge) were Trio at one time and also was connected to JVC. Panasonic = Matsushita = Technics, sort of.

Last edited:
I decided to go with a JVC QL A5, able to pick it up for 80.00 so I think for a first table I should be off to a decent start. Might modify it by adding plasticine or something similar inside the plinth, it seems to be a common and effective method to help minimize resonance. I have appreciated the help and advice and in this short time has been a learning experience, even if just the beginning.

I might keep looking for another TT along the way just because it can be a lot of fun. I will update on the purchase by the end of the month - time to search the local Value Village for some LPs, sure to find a few if I look for cheap. Any cartridge suggestions just in case?

I guess the numerous stories about turntables being shipped with loose platters, non secured tone arms, not removed dust covers are just all in my mind.
REALLY?

I bought my Lab 80 off of Ebay. Communicated with the seller about safe shipping methods. Granted, I only paid $25 for it. And, it didn't have the wood base. But, only through sheer luck it wasn't completely destroyed during transit to me. Absolutely nothing was done to secure anything on it! The tonearm was just flopping around. Platter was not removed and there wasn't even any bubblewrap. Just a few pieces of wadded-up newspaper in a flimsy cardboard box. The only damage ended up to be the stylus (and that may have been in bad shape before it shipped). I would be very careful about buying a TT off of Ebay after that. But, that's just me.

I bought my Lab 80 off of Ebay. Communicated with the seller about safe shipping methods. Granted, I only paid $25 for it. And, it didn't have the wood base. But, only through sheer luck it wasn't completely destroyed during transit to me. Absolutely nothing was done to secure anything on it! The tonearm was just flopping around. Platter was not removed and there wasn't even any bubblewrap. Just a few pieces of wadded-up newspaper in a flimsy cardboard box. The only damage ended up to be the stylus (and that may have been in bad shape before it shipped). I would be very careful about buying a TT off of Ebay after that. But, that's just me.

And if it had been destroyed you would have been fully reimbursed, including shipping. Plus they offer a 30 day return policy, if it crapped out in the first month, full refund. Does Craigslist or a garage sale offer this? And most likely if you had contacted the seller about the damaged stylus you would have gotten the table for free.

Last edited:
And if it had been destroyed you would have been fully reimbursed, including shipping. Plus they offer a 30 day return policy, if it crapped out in the first month, full refund. Does Craigslist or a garage sale offer this? And most likely if you had contacted the seller about the damaged stylus you would have gotten the table for free.

Things have gotten better on eBay. Years ago sellers got away with poor packing. Had a Pioneer PL35 that got trashed. Seller denied it was his fault. No packing. It was totaled. Now sellers have to do things right. Many still don’t pack right. My last Garrard Zero was packed with the dustcover on it with the counter weight on the arm. I was surprised that I had no damage. Cost with shipping was $23.23. Bought for parts but was able to fix it. Still many sellers don’t pack right. Doesn’t hurt to contact the seller. Did that on a Dual. Customer took $35 off. It became a $65 parts unit. To the OP, again good luck in your search.

Well, that's a weird argument in favour of buying the sight-unseen, "who knows if it really works" ebay item and having it destroyed in transit vs. the actual inspection of the local purchase, immediate delivery and taking responsibility for it yourself.

:dunno:

The only way I would buy another turntable from ebay, it would have to be something rare and a smoking hot deal. Unless it happened to be from someone here on AK that knows how to ship one safely. That I would trust.

Well, that's a weird argument in favour of buying the sight-unseen, "who knows if it really works" ebay item and having it destroyed in transit vs. the actual inspection of the local purchase, immediate delivery and taking responsibility for it yourself.

Yeah, it can be risky. Sure glad I have everything I want. My latest turntable, the BSR 810 was local. Would never buy this one online. They had a bad reputation. This was minty 9 out of 10 cosmetically and works. Did not need this one, too cool to pass up.

Buying from someone who has previously sold turntables and received good feedback for the shipping might increase the odds of not wasting time, tying up money, and possibly missing out on something else while waiting to see if the one you purchased arrives safe and secure.
As well as discussing how to properly package a turntable for shipping before it is shipped rather than just hoping for the best.

Anymore when I receive a preowned item bought on ebay I take pictures of the package and every step of the items' unpacking.
REALLY. Just in case.

Last edited:
Along with the one JVC QL A5 for 80.00 another Seller will also let his go for a bit more. ( 125.00 with JVC receiver ), just got a reply from him, it is complete with dust cover so I am thinking of buying both and have one as a back up and play around with one of them, extra dampening etc., maybe have a base made out of HDF and put some wood veneer on it, I think these tables are worth some effort and besides I like to tinker! As another one ( gone through admittedly ) is listed at 240.00 I can get two for less. Will check them out for any issues of course.

Should be interesting as I have a thing for wood finished plinths and this would in fact give me two different tables, in a manner of speaking. Have start doing some researching.

Wow, really?

Who said anything about buying something without knowing if it works ROFLMFAO. I always contact the seller before purchase and recommend others do the same.

As I've stated here before, my last 6 tables were purchased through eBay, all arrived intact, all still work as new. Also my last 60 or more used electronic purchases were through eBay, all transactions were to my satisfaction. Can't say the same about many items I've purchased new, records from Music Direct for one. Their buyer protection policy leaves a lot to be desired, they could learn from eBay how to treat customers.

If the ad states "works" it's covered. Actually, if it doesn't state "parts or repair" or something similar it's covered. If you buy something new at a brick & mortar there's no guarantee it will work out of the box, that's what the warranty is for. Or do you demand they open the box for your brand new washer, wash clothes in the store to prove it works before you buy, get real.

Last edited:
If you buy something new at a brick & mortar there's no guarantee it will work out of the box, that's what the warranty is for. Or do you demand they open the box for your brand new washer, wash clothes in the store to prove it works before you buy, get real.

This is what we call a straw man.

Back
Top Bottom