Looking for Fsher 500TX front panel

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by johnfalc, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. johnfalc

johnfalc Active Member

I just repaired and aligned my old bench receiver, a 500TX ... what a sweet machine when running well and aligned properly! The Fisher and Scott receivers and tuners of the late 1960's are astonishingly listenable.

This example had a shorted diode in the power supply and a leaky germanium signal diode in the muting/stereo switching circuit, plus some intermittent switch contacts in the switch assembly supporting the Autoscan tuning. Fun to diagnose and repair (although it is challenging to get to the bottom of most boards in the unit, especially the FM/MPX section.

Anyway, the front panel (thanks to a prior owner, the neighbor who gave it to me decades ago) marked the front panel with his driver's license number ... not an issue for me when it is part of my service bench but, if I ever want to make it part of a period-correct classic system (I have a spare pair of AR3a to match it with, plus a Dual 1219) or decide to sell it, then it would be nice to have a new front panel.

Let me know if you have one or have a suggestion.

Thanks, John

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry, no info on a new panel, but an observation: I've had several pieces of gear come across the bench or are in my collection with numbers etched on them, so in very conspicuous places (like this one). I guess this must have been a more common practice back in the day--don't see it much any more, but maybe I'm just not looking at the right gear. I remember vaguely when the etching tools were popular--I guess this was when all the numbering took place. Best of luck with your search.

I know what you mean about the sound--my bench receiver is a 700T I restored, and I really like the sound of it as well. A buddy remarked how sweet it sounded playing through a pair of KLH Model 5's I have. Has a good bit of punch, too. I fact, this one has numbers etched on it, I think.

3. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

I'm looking for a Tune-O-Matic tuning module for the 500-TX. I got tripped up on the dog a few years ago and dropped it. Broke one of the tuning knobs and can't see buying a whole unit, if I can find someone parting out one..................

4. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

Marking equipment was a big deal in the 1970s-1980s when much of this stuff would still have been theft targets. Not today. Even though it is valuable to us, it is not exactly easy to fence through the usual black market distributors. No longer much of a theft target, especially the tube units with 50 lbs. of iron.

5. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Have you guys seen the asking prices for the 500-TX on e-prey! The SHARKS ARE HUNGRY!!!!! More than a 500-C and or a 400. WTF???????

6. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

There has been a TX-300 at an obviously excessive price that has been listed for maybe a year or more.

Please register to disable this ad.