Looking for guidance, but first about me and why I'm here.

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Masonavenut, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Hi guys and gals
    I've been snooping for a while and learning loads.
    My name is Marc and I live in the LA burbs.
    The reason that I have found this forum is because of a friend that was playing music on his Mc system.
    I'm one of those old guys (62) that has raised a family and forgot about a few things I used to love. I could never bring myself to buy those black plastic systems that us middle Americans were supposed to buy.
    When I was younger I used to street race on the street next to Marantz in Chatsworth, Ca. On Mason Ave and Nordoff St. Thus Masonavenut.
    In those days Marantz and Fisher were unobtainium for us kids, but every now and then we got to listen to them and it was nirvana. Then life got in the way and you all know how that goes.
    Fast forward to my friend and his stereo. As soon as I walked into the room I recognized that sound and said, what is that. Seriously I had not listened to anything besides headphones (traveling) in many, many years. I should add here that I am a camera operator and have done a lot of music from the old days of videos to now, so I know what music is supposed to sound like.
    He explained what he had and I was transported back many years. We passed the rest of the evening drinking scotch and listening to music like I haven't since I was young.
    I since have purchased a Marantz 2270 a Fisher 200 (which pulls garage duty) and a Fisher 400.
    I'm running the 2270 and 400 through Klipsch Forte IIIs. It sounds magnificent.
    I'm not a soldering kinda guy and am restoring some cars so between those things and work I don't have to much time to restore the amps. I have read about what to look for with the old tube stuff and am worried about spending to much more time on the 400 with out a restoration.
    The Marantz is almost finished at a local restorer but was looking for someone that really knows Fishers around the LA area.
    Any recommendations or help or comments are welcome.
    Thanks for taking time to read this.
    Marc

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Athalwolf and Rob Thomas like this.
  2. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK Marc, can't help with anyone in LA but perhaps someone will come along able to help. Good luck with your Fisher! Al

3. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Thank you

4. mibag6

mibag6 AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Fred Longworth is also a very long time AK'er (see post #4). Closer to you in SIMI VALLEY is Tom Ishimoto. One of the guys here may know the name of his shop. Both are very good tech's and will have the 400 singing in quick time.

NeedForSpeed likes this.
  6. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Thank you guys. I appreciate the info.
    I'll keep you informed on the 400. When I pull it out of service I'll take some pictures so we have before and after shots.

7. Harryconover

Harryconover Active Member

Hi am a car guy too restoring my BMW 88 535 is also a audio service tech for 33 years so I know a lot about audio gear started with tube stuff so if you want advice . Come on down

8. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Hi, currently running a Marantz 2245 myself in my bedroom set up though aspiring for The Fisher personally. You had me sold on the Scotch...LOL There is a place in California that services, restores and sells specifically vintage Fisher, Sherwood, Scott, Marantz and Mc. I believe this is their website: http://aeaaudio.com/
    They might be able to help... Good luck and congratulations from way way up'ere in New Scotland...

9. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Hah, I had an '88 BMW also but it was a 528i. Great car.
    As far as Scotch ….. well …… "Wish you were here" and a glass (or two) is pretty much heaven.

Thank you again for the info guys. I have made contact with Mr. Ishimoto and will see him tomorrow with the 400 under my arm.

10. Harryconover

11. Harryconover

Hi my frist recivor was marantaz 2245 my ex got it for me as a birthday present , had done a lot of research and decided on a Harmon Kardon 945 but the price had just increased $1.00 so she got the 2245

12. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

I'm very familiar with ex wives. I have two. Third time is the charm. At least in my case.
    I took the 400 over to Mr. Ishimoto today. Absolutely love the guy at first chat. I knew we were on the same page when he started referencing Dark Side of the Moon and digital vs analog listening.
    Here are a few pics so you know what I have.
    I got it off of eBay. I kinda feel like I stole it. It works well.
    I'll wait for Tom to tell me what he thinks but I'm ready for a full bore restore.
    IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0406.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  13. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Good looking Late Model 400. Look thru the stickies (at the top of the Forum Page) and you'll find a lot of threads about different upgrades for the 400. Some of these you might want to make Tom aware of if he's not already. Good info.

14. Harryconover

Exelent start ! it should clean up nicely standard Recape I like to use Stolen caps for majority of the copulling caps also the led lamps replacements work great and use only 10MA the old style uses 250 MA this what 1 tube uses 12 watts as I rememberer there are 2 so much less load on the power transfomer and the way a transfomer works you add all the secondary loads and that is size of transfomer over all if you can reduce one portion then it's divided between Those that remain this gives that amp 44 more watt available to the power amp , a notable improvement and very easy to do there are now 3 diffent suppliers of that that type , one type was in here , so great find. You will love the result! The

15. Harryconover

16. Harryconover

In the exwife front congratulations on there being the magic number this is the same advice see gave me but I can't go into two with that attitude

17. Masonavenut

Masonavenut New Member

Heard from Tom. Here's what he found.
    BTW I don't feel like I stole it anymore.:)
    All good, cant wait to hear it all fixed up.
    I forgot to ask him because I'm working, what does it mean that it clips into an 8 ohm load?

1. The main amp is working but it's presently putting out a little bit over 16 watts per channel before clipping into an 8 ohm load.
    2. The FM tuner is way out of alignment.
    3. The phono preamp is noisy.
    4. If you look at the stem of the high voltage power supply capacitors are starting to leak. The internal low voltage looks like they have been replaced previously.
    5. The filaments on the incandescent lamps inside the uni are pretty old. They should be replaced.

So he recommends

1. Replace all four output tubes with preselected matched gain Electro Harmonix Tubes. Run the standard FTC precondition test and then set the phase invertor adjustment.
    2. Realign the FM tuner and FM stereo multiplex adjustment.
    3. Replace the phono preamp tubes and add missing tube shields.
    4. Since the low voltage capacitors have been previously replaced, I don't think it's necessary to replace them. However, the 3 massive high voltage multisegment capacitors need
    to be replaced. In all,this would entail taking out the multisegment capacitors and adding 8 high voltage capacitors to your unit.Because the original capacitors are no longer
    available, we would build a terminal bridge in the belly of the unit and add the additional capacitors inside the chassis of the unit so that the cosmetics would not change.
    5. Replace the lamps with LEDs. The LEDs are warm white so the color will not deviate from the original look.

18. Thumper

Thumper Active Member

Clipping means that the power amp is just starting to distort, and 16W ain't very much which is why he wants to change the power tubes.

Checkout Hayseed Hamfest for the multisection can caps. I just installed a set in my 400, they're nice and you don't have to worry about headache of mounting a bunch of individual caps and the extra wire and whatnot.

19. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good looking 400! Good luck with the restoration, you won't regret it. I don't own a 400 but a 800C, making me rethink my options on one. :) Al

20. Harryconover

Feel good you probly stil stole it the coupling caps have a lot to do with the sound quality you say they were replaced with watt ? The noisy preAmp could be several things resitores that have gone noisy should be replaced with 1pecent film all caps are suspect also the contacts on the tubes or sockets the main or tube caps are a question original style are hard to get but are required for collection grade restoration if you go with the under chassis caps have got a lot better and you definitely like the result the outputs are burnt out a new set is needed