1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for help setting the bias on my Scott 222B

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Onebean, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:24 PM.

1. Onebean

Onebean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just bought a Scott 222B and I would like to know how to check and set the bias on the power tubes. I found a post where Tinkerbell linked to the instructions on the Scott website. Here's what it says.

The Type 222B (also 6BQ5-based) featured an adjustable self-bias design.

To adjust a 222B's bias: place a DC voltmeter across resistor R-201, 1.2k-ohm, located across the preamp filament heater supply. (Note: Remove the bottom plate cover to gain access below the chassis). Adjust the Bias Control (located between the power transformer and electrolytic cap until the meter reads 38.5 volts DC.

So how do I locate R-201, and how do I connect my meter?

Is this telling me to clip my meter on the legs of the resistor? When I bias my Fender Brown Princeton clone, I'm pretty sure I clip my leads between a resistor and ground.

Is the bias control pot for each power tube accessed from the underside of the amp, or top side?

A picture would be worth a million words for me. Thanks for the help.

Onebean

Please register to disable this ad.

2. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic Subscriber

FE615A76-D09E-4366-A252-81695DC7F323.jpeg according to this picture theyre the ones ontop.

3. Onebean

Radioactive, is it the recessed pots? I see 2 of them, each one between 2 power tubes. Are the power tubed biased as a pair? Can you show me where to attach my meter?

4. radioactive

5. radioactive

i scrached my head looking for r-201 but it dont exist .

6. radioactive

tje pots on the topside should be labled if the writing isnt gone.

7. Onebean

Yea, the writing is gone.

8. drew_t

drew_t AK Subscriber Subscriber

9. Onebean

Ok, on page one of the linked manual, it says to connect one lead of the DVM to point A, and the other to chassis ground. On page 4 ( the amp schematic) I found the "A" point, but it's very blurry, and I can't tell what components are around it. I'm not good at translating schematics to layouts either. Also, I only see one point "A". Should there be 4 places to set the bias? One for each tube???

10. drew_t

The PDF linked in my post above is a scan of official HH Scott documentation. I think what you’re calling the “linked manual” is a scan of a “SAMS” document. These were published by a third party company; they incorporate schematics that were drawn by their own personnel, often in a different style and using different component identification numbers, and sometimes not exactly correct. Here, R91 in the SAMS schematic is the same thing as R201 in the HH Scott schematic. (It’s shown as a 10 watt resistor in the SAMS, rather than seven.) Whether the one in your unit is a seven watt or a 10 watt, it shouldn’t be hard to find. It will be bigger than most of the other resistors.

The 222B does not have individual bias adjustment capacity for each power tube.

11. Onebean

Thanks Drew. I'll get the bottom plate off tonight and take a look. Does it matter which side of the resistor I clip onto for setting the bias?

12. drew_t

13. Onebean

Ok, here is a picture from the bottom side. I think I found the resistor I need to measure across to set the bias. Please take a look at the arrows I added to the picture, and let me know if I've got this right. I appears the adjustment pot is right next to the resistor too. My plan is to clip the leads of my meter onto either side of the resistor, power up the amp, set the bias, then power down and move to the other one. Then let the amp idle for 30 minutes and check it again. I'll have speakers hooked up while doing this. Let me know if I'm on the right track.
    Scott 222B.jpg

14. drew_t

2DFC9EA2-058C-4D5A-9525-DCC3E07ED39D.jpeg

I lose the detail if I try to zoom in too closely on the photo, but I think the resistor you’re looking for is the discolored rectangular cement one I have circled. And the adjustment pot is probably the one right above it.