Looking for ideas on how to ship large speakers half way across the US

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I spotted a set of speakers I'd like to purchase on the east coast, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get them to Nebraska safely without spending more than the speakers cost. I'm looking to move a pair of speakers with a weight of around 100 lbs per speaker. The seller wants local pick up, so I need to make this easy on him to get the deal done. I considered building a pallet and shipping it to him. Then he could load the speakers into it, and ship it back, but I'm not sure he would go for it, and shipping the pallet both ways could easily cost me $500 or more. Does anyone have an idea how I can pull this off? They are light enough to go UPS or FedEx individually, but I'm afraid the weight would result in them getting damaged from mishandling. If I pay FedEx or UPS to box them, I'm not sure I'll get the protection I want, and it will cost a lot. Are there independent shops I could hire that would do a good job packaging, for a fair price? Paying someone to pack them, and shipping UPS or FedEx is likely the cheapest option and the least painful for the seller, but not the safest option in my mind. I look forward to your advice and experiences. Thanks.

Onebean

I've no idea the cheapest/safest means for getting those speakers to your house, but I have a few thoughts.

* You might call a U-Haul outlet in the seller's city and tell them your situation. They might have a reference for somebody who does such things.

* See if there is one of those Rent-a-Husband or Rent-a-Student or Handyman businesses in the seller's city. If they don't perform that service, maybe they know somebody who does.

* Check online and see if there are any antique shops in that city with an online-selling presence. Ask them who packs and ships their larger items.

* Call the Chamber of Commerce in the seller's city. They should have a good handle on who does what in that town. Ask them if there is a trade school in the city. If so, get the name and number of the instructor for building trades, etc., and ask him if he or some of his students might have the ability to package and ship the speakers for you.

* I often see listings on Craigs List for private individuals offering to haul items to particular cities as they are moving, delivering, etc.. You might even consider posting a CL ad in the seller's town seeking somebody to pack the speakers and deliver them to your chosen shipper.

I may think of others.

GeeDeeEmm

Yep - I used U-Ship to get the Heathkit "Valencia" speakers from Western Ohio to my place in VA (Near DC) back in January ...
Highly recommended!

You write up a description of what you want moved and how you want it packaged and folks will bid on the job
Maybe 2 weeks to collect all the bids - then select one, pay a deposit, put the payment in escrow with uShip - and when it arrives inspect it, and approve payment ...
Mine were well over 100lbs each, driver picked them up at a Easy-Storage type place. Rolled them onto their truck, wrapped them with shipping blankets and cling wrap. It was a power-liftgate truck that was hauling multiple things to our area
They arrived a day later, they hand trucked them into my living room and unpacked them for me.

The cost was $269.97 to uShip, Inc. - and I tipped the shipper $30 cash.

Last edited:
Yep - I used U-Ship to get the Heathkit "Valencia" speakers from Western Ohio to my place in VA (Near DC) back in January ...
Highly recommended!

You write up a description of what you want moved and how you want it packaged and folks will bid on the job
Maybe 2 weeks to collect all the bids - then select one, pay a deposit, put the payment in escrow with uShip - and when it arrives inspect it, and approve payment ...
Mine were well over 100lbs each, driver picked them up at a Easy-Storage type place. Rolled them onto their truck, wrapped them with shipping blankets and cling wrap. It was a power-liftgate truck that was hauling multiple things to our area
They arrived a day later, they hand trucked them into my living room and unpacked them for me.

The cost was $269.97 to uShip, Inc. - and I tipped the shipper $30 cash.

This is the way to do it. Great suggestion.

GeeDeeEmm

Used them yrs ago to get a motorcycle from Indiana to S Fl, don't remember the cost. The bike arrived safe and sound in the trailer of professional motorcycle transporters.

Last edited:

I've used uship. It's kind of like a logistics version of Uber. Whoever you choose does the shipping. They will pack it up and be responsible for your items if that's what you need. Pick a shipper who will pack it for you. My last shipped item they did for $175, from Cali to Indy. The best competitive price was $785 from a well known company. My experience with them is two thumbs up.

Another vote for U-ship. I had 4 Krell monoblocks shipped from CA to PA--total weight crated and palletized roughly 1,000 lbs. Arrived safe and sound--don't recall the shipping cost, but it wasn't bad.

Another happy U-ship user here, probably a dozen or more moves, Altec 17's, Honda 4 wheeler, '41 GMC pick-up, jukeboxes, pianos, etc.

I had a buyer use U-Ship to ship a Zenith Porthole TV I sold on ebay. I just wrapped it up nice and put it on a pallet at work, and the truck came and picked it up. I believe the buyer got a discount since we had a dock and towmotor available. So you might keep that in mind too; if you can have them delivered/picked up from a place with a dock it might be a little cheaper.

Uship. It's like Lyft for speakers.
I recently used it to sent three sets of Advents to the same buyer in Ohio from Mass.
Worked perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom