Looking for Marantz Imperial 9's

hibuckhobby

Back in the early 70's, when I was selling audio, these were some of the best rock and roll speakers we had in the store (short of the JBL 300's) Anyone who knows the whereabouts of a clean pair of the 9's or who has experience with them? Comments appreciated.
Bob :)

The only 9's I have seen were being parted out. I have a pair of these that I want to get rid of badly ! I swiped this pic but mine are actually in way better shape.

Grumpy,

How much do you want for those Imperial 5's? Incidentally, are the Marantz logos on the grills or do they sit below the grills? Thanks.

Jay

I'm looking for a few 10" woofers and a few 4" midrange to rebuild for my Imperial 9's. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Don

I bought a pair of HD-770s a couple of months ago and had them professionally refinished. Almost looks like a new pair now and was I ever surprised of how clean they sound. I've owned and listened MANY speakers in my life and had never heard of the HD 770s or even seen them for that matter. I generally have always leaned towards the higher end stuff but these are quite capable. I can't believe how balanced a sound these have. I always assumed the japanese speakers from that era were all crap. Although I don't have any experience with the Pioneer HPM stuff, I know those are highly praised as well. Was just surprised Marantz made speakers this nice.

The Marantz speakers from the mid to late 70's were designed by Ed May, the former JBL engineer responsible for the L100, and all of the drivers in the L300.

Don/cadillacdoc, post a pic of what you're looking for. I may not quite remember what the baskets on these look like (ie, I thought the mid was more like a 3" than a 4"?), but if I can see a pic of them, I'll go check the local "speaker graveyards" in the back of the local repair shops around here...

Regards,
Gordon.

OK, that's what I thought we were talking about. Definitely know what time it is now.

I'll keep an eye out...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom