Looking for opinions on headphones

thilaseen

I'm looking to upgrade my old headphones...Akai ASE-22 (I did say old :D) and the ones currently on the list are Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH-AD400, Beyerdynamic DTX-800, all $150 here in Aus plus the Audio Technica ATH-AD300 at $115.
Has anyone any recommendations to make on these or know of any others I should put on my search list?
I did a Google and everytime I found a good price on any of them, it was in the U.S. and no international shipping. :no:
I just got my Marantz 1060 back from the tech after a full (not cheap) overhaul and after sampling the phones output I decided I deserved the new ones. :music:

Believe it or not, one of the best pair of headphones I've ever had were made by Panasonic. Comfortable, had a volume control on the cord, & sounded very good; much better than I expected. Sadly, they dropped & broke. It was bound to happen. I'd already repaired them once, but this time it was beyond repair.

Go find a set of Stax at a garage sale for $8 like I did. :thmbsp:

I have been a big Grado fan over the last few years and stated with the SR 60's , I lucked out on Ebay and found a new pair of Sr125's for $100 they both sound great. The good thing is there is a high end store here in Boulder Colorado that I could listen to all of the headphones. Gee there are so many choices.
Goos job on getting the 1060 back, others will chime in that if you had a recap done the sound from your 1060 will change a little as the caps burn-in.

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the Audio-Tehnica's they look impressive. the Ad500's have the 53mm drivers, darn now you got me thinkin. Gotta hide the credit card

I've bought a wireless headphone recently, a Sony (for details you'll have to check my signature)
Quite comfortable to wear, also for a prolonged period of time. Sound is good aswell as reception throughout the entire house & the garden.

I'm looking to upgrade my old headphones...Akai ASE-22 (I did say old :D) and the ones currently on the list are Alessandro MS-1, Audio Technica ATH-AD400, Beyerdynamic DTX-800, all $150 here in Aus plus the Audio Technica ATH-AD300 at $115.
Has anyone any recommendations to make on these or know of any others I should put on my search list?
I did a Google and everytime I found a good price on any of them, it was in the U.S. and no international shipping. :no:
I just got my Marantz 1060 back from the tech after a full (not cheap) overhaul and after sampling the phones output I decided I deserved the new ones. :music:

Lot's of choices,Can you listen to any at the shop's? Do you listen/or plan to alot? comfort factor will come into play then, I'd stay with the biggies Grado, Senn's, AKG's, Stax, if you buy on-line. BTW since I'm asking Q's, Is Tasmania it's own country, commonwealth or technically still part of Austrailia? I'm just bein' nosey:yes:
Craig

I haven't used them a lot in the past but that's about to change:thmbsp:
It also seems that online is the only way for me. There's what looks to be a good dealer way over in Perth and his prices include shipping. Another :thmbsp:
They're the prices I quoted. I know it's a lot more expensive here compared to the U.S. but it's market size and reasonable profitability that has to be looked at. As long as it's reasonable, but I'm always open to offers! Commonsense has to apply as well.

Tassie is and has always been a full state of Aus...just happens to have a couple of hundred miles of wild and woolly Bass Strait in between...helps keep too many mainlanders out (didn't keep me out and I'm staying)

headphones.com.au is the place I'm looking at and I'm getting pretty good vibes from them.
Thanks all for the ideas.

Love my Grado 225's
vy
But...they are heavy.
When doing a show, I still use my Rad Shack LV10's (Rebadged Koss)
I love those ancient things.

The mid-priced new Koss 45.00 right at wal-mart sound good. I was shocked how close to Grado they came for a tiny fraction of the cost.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a great can. Very detailed and comfortable to wear. Can be easily driven with portables too! You can get them for around 100-115 if you look around some.

Just a case in point...I checked the A T ATH-M50 and they go for $329 here which equates to US$310. I'm starting to scare myself now!
I may have to contradict myself and try to find an overseas dealer who'll send to Aus :scratch2:

Either that or haunt U.S. eBay or keep my eyes on the AK sales...never did before for obvious reasons.

Got rid of everything and kept my AKG-601's. I don't use them much anymore but when I need to escape for a while they are just an arm's reach away.

Well I've spent all evening checking out all the options and have finally just pushed the BIN button on a pair of Koss KSC75 here in Aus. At a total cost of $27 delivered there's nothing to lose if they're no good but I'm expecting to be pleasantly satisfied judging by the reviews I've seen. :thmbsp:
I'll be keeping an eye open on upgrading possibilities in the future....the same seller has the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 for about $220 shipped. :scratch2:
Thanks all for the input.
:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

You really can't go wrong with:

GRADO

SENNHEISER

STAX (if you can afford them or find a set at an estate sale)

Please follow up and tell how the little guys sound! Affordable headphones are always a good thing!

In all the excitement of this humungous purchase, I completely overlooked my 200th post....in 3 years. Vinyl David better watch his back now. :yes:
I'll certainly call in with my opinions next week. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom