Looking for Outboard A-D Convertor to Use w/Laptop

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
I have a big vinyl collection and I'd like to digitize some of it. Was waiting for a new computer. Now have a new computer, it's a big Toshiba 17" monster laptop. No internal sound card. Plenty of USB ports. I want to get an outboard A-D converter to plug into it. I've looked at some of the fancy ones that have multiple I/O's for mikes, instruments etc....don't need all that for $500. I did find a little pocket/credit card sized gadget that had RCA stereo inputs and USB output, about $70, but now I can't remember who made that (and it was just last week! :cry: ). Something like that or even one that goes both ways so I can (some day) play MP3s or whatever off the web into the stereo, would be good.

Suggestions? Other existing threads on the subject?

Thanky.

Something like this?

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=244&subcategory=250&product=10769#

High Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) exceeding 104 dB using high linearity, low distortion 24-bit converters with resolutions of up to 192 kHz
# Playback: 24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96 kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output, 192kHz for Stereo DVD-A
# Recording: 24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of stereo analog inputs at 96 kHz sample rate
# Supports Sony/Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) format of up to 24-bit/96 kHz quality at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz

That looks like a quality gizmo, the price is right too ($129 +/-). I don't see any RCA inputs though - how do I get an analog signal into it?? I'm kind of a newbie at this. The description talks all about 5.1 and 7.1 output, but doesn't give the output jack specs either. The Features screen says, "Music, movies, and games in virtual surround on headphones or full surround on 5.1 or 7.1 speakers." So there has to be an output to an amp because this thing doesn't have it. Then it says, Record your own music and audio samples in richer, cleaner 24-bit audio quality with high-fidelity 24-bit/96kHz inputs. " So is it expecting only digital input? That means I would need a second gadget to convert. My receiver (Denon 5-channel surround) has a digital output but I don't think it does A-D conversion....or does it...hafta explore that.

I want a gadget that takes analog line level input and feeds digital to the PC. With amazing specs, incredible accuracy, cool design, all for 20 bucks. OK I'll pay more than 20 bucks. :lmao:

Wow thanks for that link, it makes a lot more sense now. You've been very helpful. I've never seen a cable with RCA at one end and 3.5 mm at the other, but I spose they must be out there. I'm over 40 so I'm already behind as soon as the gun goes off.

What they said at the end about a totally outboard card being more versatile in terms of connections gives me pause. I might want to carry this card to another computer, maybe even loan it to someone. Is there a similar quality interface that's outboard/USB connected?

Yes, the Extigy, as Amason3 posted above. I suggested the PC card-slot sized unit, for no other reason than permanence and portability. Where there's a will, there's a solution!

I just bought a Creative Audigy 2NX. USB I/O, 7.1, 24bit/96kHz A-D and D-A, meaning I can record my LPs at high resolutions, save them on DVR +/-Rs, and then play them at the same res on my SACD players. I do not use the 7.1 thing but its 24 bit encoding capability is the feature I am after.

But, too bad the 24/96 encoding does not seem to work at all on mine. 16/96 is possible though, and the recorded sound is obviously noticeblly better than 16/44.1.

I'm trying to have this one replaced. Hopefully I can tell you about how it does on 24/96.

Later.

Back
Top Bottom