Looking for plans for the famous JBL Metregon Speaker System

Your welcome. I've always been curious about these, never seen one in real life, nor heard one, but I think I understand the infatuation(s).

If you build one, post pictures.
I will definitely post some photos. I'm going to purchase those plans to which you linked if they are actual ink on paper. I don't want a CD Rom. When I start production I will post all through the process and if I can get the original speakers, those will go in as well. Thanks again Wayne.

Update: I just purchased the plans and it appears they are going to be extensive. 11X17 pages - Qty 50 as well as large 22X34 - Qty 6. Architectural type of drawings is my guess. I'll begin manufacturing as soon as I get them.

Last edited:
sinatra_home.jpg

Good point about his houses. I know at one point he had a Custom Seeburg Library system jukebox, same one that I have 2 of, but his was modified and recently was being offered for sale for a pretty good buck. I'd guess that he had all kinds of different gear manufactured by many companies at the time.

Frank did not have JBLs in his house.

It appears according to the article here in the link above (http://blogs.kcrw.com/music/2015/07/frank-sinatras-classic-hi-fi-system/) that he just might have had some Big JBLs. Whatever he had, he was definitely into his audio, and of course why wouldn't he. It was his lifeblood.

As a side note, everything I've read about or have been told about Sinatra over the years indicated he was very free with his money and he helped out virtually any friend in need.

According to what I've heard over the decades, if you were a friend and needed money, sometimes he simply handed you a blank check and told you to fill in the amount yourself.

If you rented out his Palm Springs house, you would know those were Altec 604s.

The blog is referencing his Palm Springs house, although he also used Altec up at his mountain “cottage” about twenty miles up in the hills.

Last edited:
Tom, the paragon has a very flat, and shallow, Sound stage. Same for the Metregon. They were designed as center fill speakers snugged in between Hartsfields.

I always wondered about the sound of the Paragon / Metregon ----- I figured IF the sound was phenomenal, other manufacturers would have followed suit and manufactured speakers in one cabinet like the JBL's......

That stated, I still would love to have a Metregon or Paragon in my living room.... not because they are rare of worth a fortune, but just because they look so damned cool. I'd sacrafice sound in one of my rooms for looks. Dan :music:
Mcm decorator room ornamentation, dunno what else to say.

Plans are finally on the way! Will be very cool. It is interesting to hear all the different comments about the sound of the Metregons. Since hearing is in the ear of the beholder, I'll be interested to find out what the audio characteristics end up sounding like to my ear when I do get it all in place. Hopefully will have a couple of units finished up by year's end..

Back
Top Bottom