Looking for plans for the famous JBL Metregon Speaker System

They stopped doing that about three years ago. You had to do a three night rental at like $1500 per night, and a max of 4 or 5 folks.

We felt like stars, drank some good wines, but we missed out on the Hollywood starlets. It was still pretty swank and had us goggle eyed.

Over the years, they ran into some issues, so they ended it. It seemed a little too cold for me, but the bones, and the stories they could tell. My all time Ava Gardner story that made the rounds was He weighed 120 pounds soaking wet, and 90 pounds was braunschweiger.”

They stopped doing that about three years ago. You had to do a three night rental at like $1500 per night, and a max of 4 or 5 folks.

We felt like stars, drank some good wines, but we missed out on the Hollywood starlets. It was still pretty swank and had us goggle eyed.

Over the years, they ran into some issues, so they ended it. It seemed a little too cold for me, but the bones, and the stories they could tell. My all time Ava Gardner story that made the rounds was He weighed 120 pounds soaking wet, and 90 pounds was braunschweiger.”
Wow! Now that is cool. I'm an avid amateur astronomer and I've been told by others that the Wilson Observatory allows for rentals of their 60 inch scope. I know it is pricey but like you indicated, one can get 5-10 people involved, and split the cost. It would be incredible to view the skies through a monster like that. I've always wanted to do that.

You have a great story to tell with Frank Sinatra's house. Did you happen to take any photos of the rest of the place when you were there? I'd love to see what his kitchen looked like (I own a cabinet shop and specialize in custom kitchens). Very neat story. Though I'm not a big fan of current Hollywood and am no groupie, I did admire those guys in the rat pack. If you are interested, there is a youtube that has a full concert of Sinatra, Sammy Davis, and Dean Martin performing in Vegas in the '60s and it is a great show. I believe it is the only one that ever got recorded. If you like the Rat Pack, it is truly entertaining. Sammy Davis was IMO the most talented of all of them and that guy can belt out a tune. I'll get the link and repost here in a few minutes.

Here's a link you might enjoy:

In the middle, Sammy Davis does impersonations of other vocal artists. He was an amazing cat!

While Gardner was working for John Ford in Africa shooting Mogambo, Sinatra visited the set and got on well with Ford, who was a very difficult man. One day Ford asked Gardner, whom he admired, what she saw in the "skinny little 100 pound Dago", or something equally caustic, and she replied that 75 pounds of him was cock.

While Gardner was working for John Ford in Africa shooting Mogambo, Sinatra visited the set and got on well with Ford, who was a very difficult man. One day Ford asked Gardner, whom he admired, what she saw in the "skinny little 100 pound Dago", or something equally caustic, and she replied that 75 pounds of him was cock.
Oh that's classic!

Sheltie Dave,
I just found a thread where that indicated you have a set of C39 Harlans that you have restored. Do you have any photos? I would love to see them. That design is pretty nice. In fact, it appears from the photos I've seen that the front edge of the top as well as the bottom bevels down. It is noticeable in the photos where the angled portion going back gets thicker.

Plans in hand. Very thorough and well detailed. As I suspected the dimensions are slightly different than what I've seen online in other drawings, giving me an indication that indeed many of the cabinets were manufactured by different parties, each a bit different, smaller or larger depending upon the builder. Curved front panel a bit wider than I had anticipated. Looking forward to getting started in a couple of weeks.

Plans in hand. Very thorough and well detailed. As I suspected the dimensions are slightly different than what I've seen online in other drawings, giving me an indication that indeed many of the cabinets were manufactured by different parties, each a bit different, smaller or larger depending upon the builder. Curved front panel a bit wider than I had anticipated. Looking forward to getting started in a couple of weeks.
Did you ever build the Metregon? Impressions after listening? What drivers did you use and did you experiment at all? Thinking of building one….

Back
Top Bottom