1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for recommended shops for Pioneer SX-980 repair/restoration...in FL panhandle.

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Flearoy, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Flearoy

Flearoy New Member

I bought an unrestored SX-980 this past week and it sounds beautiful...when it works. From my quick research, it sounds like the protection circuit. At any rate, I am not interested in getting myself buried in a restoration, especially since I am an electronics novice. I am just super excited to resume my vinyl-spinning with this gem... Therefore, I am looking for a reputable shop in my general area (North Florida / Alabama), for consultation and potentially an extensive restoration and (at a minimum) a repair of the protection circuit/other.

I would appreciate any information you folks might be able to offer...thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tuberadios69

tuberadios69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The closest folks I know with a nice service shop with good techs is Sound Ideas in Gainesville. Not exactly in the panhandle but close enough if you don't mind a drive down I-75. Call them first to schedule a visit with the service techs (352-378-0192) to drop off your unit. These folks have been in business for several decades and are a true stereo shop and repair center. They have a spacious store which was formerly an Ethan Allen furniture store! Family run; nice folks.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  3. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

you can still do some quick diagnostics to determine where the fault lies, you do need a DMM and a willingness. Apart from that I have no recommendations for service in your area.

4. Flearoy

Flearoy New Member

Thank you for the response - I will check them out...