Looking for some help on finding a table that has aluminum and wood on it.

MOEB74

I was wondering if someone knows of any vintage/older TTs that have that aluminum/wood look/finish. I dont want to pay $2-300 on one if I can help it. Id just like something to match what I have. Anything out there that flys under the radar or even that is just cheap on the market?

Weathers Townsend perhaps. Looks nice, not a particularly amazing table though. I got one a while ago for some unknown reason and haven't put it in service. The looks enticed me.

If you've got some pics of the sort of thing you are trying to match that would help a lot.

cad2919d47eb753c288e47122ebf51c7.jpg

From a pure looks standpoint, it's hard to beat the Marantz 6300 when you want the wood/brushed metal combo.

That said, I really, really like some of those Akais.

Within the budget, you are very unlikely to find the Marantz 6300. It tends to go for crazy money, more than it's worth. Empire and Luxman are usually not going to be cheap either. The Pioneer PL-12 and similar era models from Sanyo and others were made in huge quantities and can often be found for good prices.

I'm personally a fan of direct drive tables, look at the specs of an SL-1200mk2 or any of it's contemporaries. The wow and flutter is as low as just about anything that's ever been released and the rumble is well below audible.

You can argue all day back and forth about "presentation" and "finesse" and "directness" and "attack" and all the other buzz words various people use to put different drive mechanisms into different categories, but in the end, in my opinion, design of the platter itself (isolation, damping, material, etc) and design of the tonearm are going to have much more influence on the sound than how exactly power is delivered to the platter.

I have an SL-1500 now, And it'll do. But just chasing that "look" now. Do I need another one, no. But

personally I like belt drives and idler drives using straight AC synchro motors. No circuits in there to deal with, just a simple motor that runs straight off the power line. Equipment using parts that go obsolete and impossible to obtain every few years drives me nuts.

personally I like belt drives and idler drives using straight AC synchro motors. No circuits in there to deal with, just a simple motor that runs straight off the power line. Equipment using parts that go obsolete and impossible to obtain every few years drives me nuts.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. There's something to be said for both. A DC servo motor removes reliance on AC line frequency to determine platter speed. AC Syncro motors removes reliance on more complicated electronics. Measurement wise though the AC motor doesn't have a chance of matching the wow and flutter specs of a good quartz referenced servo drive. Whether or not the difference is audible is another question.

I really like the look and performance of the Denon turntables. DP 1200 is what I got and with a little patience you can find one in like new condition that fits within your budget:
denon-dp-1200-turntable-1413430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom