Looking for some opinions.....

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
Please, on these speakers:

"The Speakers are vintage HH Scott #197B II towers with a 15" woofer, 4.5" sealed back mid and 1" dome tweeters"

Has anyone owned a pair of these, or listened to a pair? I have an opportunity to pick a pair up fairly cheap, but I thought I would see if they are worth it. Thanks.

Retro

can't tell you much, but...

... that speaker dates from 1979 model year. It was their next to top of the line. Their speakers were still made in Massachusetts (Woburn, rather than Maynard) at that point. The woofer looks like it's a CTS. If so, I'll reckon the cone MR is CTS too. The dome tweeter looks like a Philips soft dome, but it could be a lookalike (never saw the 'bright' trim ring on a Philips).

I would've always thought these would have been mediocre at best, but my recent experience with a pair of 1974-vintage Scott S-15 three-ways (all cone drivers) was WAY more positive than I'd expected. Without ever hearing the speakers you asked about, I'll predict that they are decent sounding and probably pretty efficient. Try 'em on a push-pull EL84 tube amp if you can.

The image is a scan of the original Scott brochure from 1979.

Here are the brochure specs...

... for the whole speaker line of that time, for what they're worth.

Hey mrh,
Thanks for all the info, it's highly appreciated. If the price is right, I think I'll go for them. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Retro

Yep, that's a Philips tweeter... most likely, either an AD11600T8 or an AD11610. Both very good tweeters! That's not the first time I've seen an aluminum ring on a Philips tweeter... they show up like that, from time to time.

Regards,
Gordon.

Those Philips domes are indeed way nice. The Original DCM Time Windows used one or the other of those, too.

Got Em!

It looks like I got em. Here is the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5714063267&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Local pick up for me, so no shipping. I have purposely just buying my speakers locally for obvious reasons and have now picked up 6 really nice pairs in the past couple of months.

Here's what I've picked up:

1 pair of Oak Polk Monitor 7s (like new with original boxes and manuals) $150

1 pair of Oak Klipsch KG 5.2s (Flawless with original boxes and manuals) $200

1 pair of EPI Time Energy 120s (drivers perfect, cabs an 8) $50

2 pairs of "The New" Advents (all 4 cabs in great shape, woofers need re-foaming) $75

1 pair of HH Scott #197B II (says the cabs have a few defects, but the drivers are great, also came with a Pioneer SX-828) $150

I love summer bargains, and who says you still can't find deals out there!

:D

Retro

PS

I noticed the drivers for the Scott Speakers in the auction are stacked instead of triangular like the pictures above in this thread. These must be a later version of the same speaker?

Retro

buck fifty

Boy Howdy. . . . Thats the way we do it on the MTV. . . . .

Great Score. . . .

You are The Sultan. . . .of vintage Pioneer. . .

Update

Got everything home yesterday and I can see why the guy who sold them to me used the Pioneer SX-828 to power these Scott's.
Awesome sound and beautiful combination! :D The drivers are all in perfect shape and working perfectly. Those Philips tweeters sound awesome and there is plenty of bass with those 15" woofers! Those speakers are just as heavy (and big) as my Pionneer HPM 100s! The SX-828 needs a good cleaning, a new antenna mount, front wood corner posts are rounded, and wood case is a little faded (not damaged). All-in-all, I'm very pleased with this deal.

Retro

Back
Top Bottom