Looking for someone to make standalone amp out of General Electric RC1242

troniclow

Hello there fellow audiophiles.

I have a beloved General Electric RC1242 console stereo that is tube amp driven. Unfortunately the console itself is starting to fall apart but the internals remain great. I am looking for someone to fully restore and then convert this into a standalone amplifier for a new turntable and speakers. I love this unit and its what got me started in record collecting. I would be willing to remove all of the audio components from the console and ship it to the person who would be willing to do this. I understand good work costs good money I just want to allow this unit to live on one way or another.

Welcome. Please ad your location to your signature so members local to you can respond. Monitor your local CL for free or inexpensive consoles. They are still common and with a little patience, you can find one that suits your style.

Welcome. Please ad your location to your signature so members local to you can respond. Monitor your local CL for free or inexpensive consoles. They are still common and with a little patience, you can find one that suits your style.

I have the console already. Please go back and re-read my post. I am looking to hire someone to convert the internals of my old console into a stand alone tube amp.

Hello there fellow audiophiles.

I have a beloved General Electric RC1242 console stereo that is tube amp driven. Unfortunately the console itself is starting to fall apart but the internals remain great. I am looking for someone to fully restore and then convert this into a standalone amplifier for a new turntable and speakers. I love this unit and its what got me started in record collecting. I would be willing to remove all of the audio components from the console and ship it to the person who would be willing to do this. I understand good work costs good money I just want to allow this unit to live on one way or another.
Welcome to AudioKarma. If you are going to use a new turntable and speakers there are a couple of things you should know.

1. All the inputs are "high level". This means that if your new turntable will use a moving magnet style cartridge (most common), you will need to add a phonograph amplifier/equalizer between the turntable output and the amplifier input.

2. The amplifier power on this amplifier is quite low, 1 to 3 watts per channel. While it may power the original speakers just fine, most speakers will have a lower sensitivity than the originals and will not play as loud. You may want to consider removing the original speakers, from the console and making cabinets for them, as part of your new setup. If you do decide to go with new speakers; look for ones with higher sensitivity ratings.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
Relatively simple amp with passive controls, turntable only, lower output for the smaller speakers. Did you check with "Celt" about restoring this amp? Try a PM direct to him. His work looks very good and shipping the smaller unit would not be that expensive. He is a moderator on here and still active.

index.php

Tom3 I did actually message celt about it and he said he has to many projects going on currently. Maybe he will see this thread and make some space for me :)

Found interest in the thread as I have a Motorola tube console from about '65 of my parents I'd like to maintain. That unit produced my earliest recollections of music. I must have been 3 or 4 when we got it so I don't really remember that. It has always just "been there" in the household; part of the family :) Finding another isn't a solution, it's not about the object or its "high fidelity", it's a companion piece with a personal heritage. Some don't place much value on that aspect but I could easily read that you do. It's funny because certain music I still have is better enjoyed on the moto than my CJ and Thiels. Anything can play music, it's rare when an audio system you grew up with is still with you. Those play memories :). Good luck on your outcome!

Back
Top Bottom