Looking for something, not sure what

Simplyput

Hi All,
I’m putting together a small system after years of nothing but unplayed vinyl taking up space.
I’ve recently acquired a pair of
NS-20T speakers and a NAD 7020e receiver (both at comparatively good prices). I am looking for some advice on a relatively inexpensive (sub $200) turntable to add in.
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to AK.

Around these parts, most will advise you go for a vintage turntable as pretty much anything new for under $200 is a plastic toy. With a vintage one, it's hard to suggest a model as the selection will be very random and depend on where you are. I do not recommend buying from eBay as many people who sell there do not know how to pack a turntable properly for shipping and it will arrive damaged.

You local stores (vintage, second hand, thrift) and Craigslist or other online swap sites are your best bet. If you tell us where you are or find models locally we can suggest things to watch out for.

Thanks for the reply.
I’m in the Bay Area, near Berkeley. If anyone knows of good shops in the area to check besides the typical goodwill/Salvation Army, I’d be excited to hear about them.
I’m also interested in any particular brands and models that others have been happy with without having to break the bank.
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
I’m in the Bay Area, near Berkeley. If anyone knows of good shops in the area to check besides the typical goodwill/Salvation Army, I’d be excited to hear about them.
I’m also interested in any particular brands and models that others have been happy with without having to break the bank.
Thanks.

Well you are at least in a good area for potential to find good audio equipment.
Being in the "Bay Area," I'd suggest a look at Craigslist first (as Montycat suggested).
As well, perhaps paying the fee to join "Barter Town" on these forums would be a worthy investment... surely there are more than a few members near you and a "want to buy" with a budget listed could yield good results from trustworthy fellow audio fans.

Good luck!
Ben

Agree that vintage is the way to go. There are a lot of different styles and features on turntables. A few questions will help us to advise you:
What's in your collection? 33s, 45s, 78s?
Are you a "tweaker" or a "plug and play" guy?
Tweaker: Dual belt or idler wheel w/ standard 1/2" mount headshell/tonearm.
Plug and play: Japanese direct drive w/ p-mount.
Buying used, assume the stylus is toast and budget for a new one. Depending on the cartridge, an aftermarket stylus can be as little as $20 to get you started.

I'll second a Dual turntable. I recently bought three different models - a 1219 (idler) and 510 and 506-1 (belt drives). It seems like the older idler wheel models are generally fully automatic and naturally more complex. Earlier belt drive models like my 510 can have issues with the motor turning at double speed (mine does). That brings me to the 506-1. This one worked flawlessly, though I did buff the cover and replace the RCA plugs. It has the ULM tonearm, which can limit cartridge selection. Mine came with the adapter for standard 1/2" cartridges and an Ortofon LM10. This one isn't automatic but will lift the tonearm and shut off the motor at the end of the record. I realize it's not as good as the 1219 / 1229 and some other models, but from what I've experienced, the semiautomatic belt drives are more likely to work without needing much in the way of service.
I'm in OC, and Duals seem to be popular in most larger cities in CA, and I've found a nice selection on Craigslist. I set up a CL search notification for Dual turntables and the 506-1 popped up a couple miles from where I work. $60 later, it was mine and is working fine until I get my 1219 sorted out. Good luck.

If you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to get your hands dirty then a Dual 1229 is a wonderful table, there are lots of them and the service is typically the same on all of them. The tend to break down in the same areas and there are lots out there sold for little $ because they need just a little love. They are wonderfully designed and easy to work on. That said, you need the service manual, do lots of reading and understand what you are doing.

70's Japanese DD tables are probably what you would be looking at, something like a Technics SLQ2 could be had for 50-200 and fits the bill, though it wouldn't be as nice and harder to fix if something went wrong.

I briefly checked your local CL. I see a lot that are overpriced or at least over budget, but I also some pretty good deals.

There were some decent JVC, Sony, Technics, Kenwood and others on the first page of reponses to my "turntable" query. Some might need work but if you grab the JVC Ql-A2 for $60 for example you have a nice table plus lots of room for a good cartridge or new stylus at least

in the bay area look for "broken" turntables. these are usually broken because of a
belt that went glue, too loose, unaligned around the various loop constraints, or
even missing.

I've bought a few for under $25 (and a couple for $10) and some are fixed for pennies
(the pioneer linear trackers have a second belt that lifts the arm that gets loose,
replacements are $4 but rubber bands work). full belts are about $10 on eBay.

same goes for Nakamichi cassette decks - there's an idler that gets worn and doesn't
drive the mechanism. a few bucks for a bunch that will last forever.

the bigger problem is the stylus (needle), some carts use ones that are out-of-production
even by third parties so a replacement can cost a few bucks. I'd look for P-mounts
since most folks look down their noses at them so they get no respect. I happen
to love them for their trackability.

do remember that golden age turntables are approaching 40-50 years old and
expecting no maintenance is unrealistic.

because of the bay area's decades-long wealth, there are so many places:
CL, SA, GW, thrift stores, church sales, flea markets, estate sales, electronics
reseller retail and warehouses, and above all - garage sales where they're
selling records - means somewhere in the back there's a turntable. I'd
go to the classical music offerings, because no one else shows up and
they take great care of LPs, and no one wants them. means cheap.

Back
Top Bottom