Looking for SoundBar recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by RayM, May 19, 2018.

1. RayM

RayM New Member

I am looking for a good SoundBar recommendation for Home Theater . I would like something with a Sub Woofer, from some of the things I have seen on this forum, some say the woofer was not needed.
    It is a fairly large room with high ceilings and most of the room to the left of the TV. I was looking for something in the $500-$700 dollar range but prefer to stay closer to $500. there are a lot of reviews with Samsung and Sony and Klipsch usually in the list. Looking for some opinions of what you have heard or have, or had and took back etc. I have not had a soundbar before so I am not sure of what features I should be looking for.

Thanks
    Ray

Please register to disable this ad.

2. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

I think you would want the sub and sound bar to be two different units. Big rooms suck up a lot of bass which generally means a bigger more powerful sub. A soundbar is more for direct sound so room size has less impact though it is affected by listening distance. So for best performance I think you need to look at them as two different boxes even if they come as a package.

I assume you are looking at a powered sound bar (with internal amp) so make sure the sound bar audio inputs match the TV audio outputs, probably optical.

My ht system is powered from the AVR and uses "regular" hi-fi speakers so no direct experience with sound bars.

Hope this helps get the discussion started.

3. PDoyle

PDoyle Member

Where do you plan to put it?
    I had to put my 65" 4k tv over my fireplace with no spot for a soundbar or so I thought. I bought a Phillips soundbar for less than $100 and found that I could attach it to the wall behind the tv with an extra wall install kit and the sound projected up to the ceiling and around the Tv and it sounds good. No sub, and connected it using optical.

4. RayM

RayM New Member

Thanks DonPrice, I am looking for a powered Soundbar with internal amp. I have an LG so it has HDMI I know. I need to check on if it has optical.

Thanks PDoyle, I have no room on the front of the Tv shelf itself but do have room on the bottom of the TV stand shelf or on the wall behind above the TV. It sounds like on the wall will yield better results.

Thanks
    Ray

5. imral3

imral3 Super Member

I suggest having two people hold it on the wall, behind the TV, and listen to it before mounting it. Remember, it was "his" opinion that it sounded good, and that's perfectly fine. But, I would not want to block the sound eminating from any speaker by placing it behind something.

6. PDoyle

PDoyle Member

So I bought a phillips sound bar with wall mount kit and installed it right behind the TV on the wall about 3" from the ceiling.
    The sound bounces off the ceiling and all around the TV and really sounds good.
    I'm thinking of getting a fairly small wireless sub and add it on the opposite side of the room. Should sound even better then.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. RayM

RayM New Member

We'll. My wife OK'd the budget to go up a notch, I bought the Bose Soundbar 300 with the Subwoofer and rear Surround speakers. Took me while to finally get them to link and hooked up to the HDMI ARC from my TV but now they sound pretty good. Hopefully will not regret my decision as there are mixed reviews for the Bose, but for now it sounds great. Thanks for all the opinions and help.
    Ray

imral3 likes this.