Looking for speaker suggestions for Dynaco MKlll mono's and PAS-3 pre

jamiecantar

Hi guys long time, hope all are well.

My main listening area has an all Solid State set up, but I have a pair of Dynaco Mark III Tube mono block amplifiers rated at 60 Watts. and Pas-3 tube preamp sitting around collecting dust which i want to set up and enjoy. Going to be mainly spinning vinyl on a Thorens TD-124 with SME 3009 ll arm and Ortofon Blue cart...

I'm inviting some high efficient speaker suggestions that might pair well with this tube set-up.

My budget is $1000
Vintage or Modern
room size is 12' w x 12' d x 8' ceiling
Mainly listen to jazz, instrumental, acoustic, vocal, and classical

Any suggestions would be most appreciated...
cheers

Last edited:
Hi, Jamie. Our setups are rather similar. In my case, I'm running a pair of Dynaco Mk.IV monoblocs with a Dynaco PAT IV preamp. I rarely listen to vinyl anymore, preferring the convenience of CDs, or CDs recorded to R2R tape.

You can see my Altec speakers in my avatar, so you know what my preferences are. I never believed the hype about tubes 'n horns, but I'm a convert now. The combination really is magic. With that in mind, I would steer you toward highly-efficient, horn-based speakers. Besides Altec, think about Klipsch (Cornwalls & tubes are yummy if you have the space for them), JBL, classic EVs, etc.. I would be remiss not to mention the horn-based University speakers such as the S-8, but the bass response is not quite up to my preferences.

If you are patient and diligent, your $1000 could buy entry into a nice classic horn system.

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: Altec 846B Valencia
617335-altec_846b_valencia.jpg

Altec Model 14
897084-altec-model-14-classic-mantaray-horn-loaded-2-way-studio-monitors-voice-of-the-theater-vott.jpg

Altec Model 15
altec_Model_15_003.JPG

Altec Model 19 - Kings of the Altec Home Speakers
Altec-Lansing-Model-19-1.jpg

Klipsch Cornwall
th

JBL S300 Summit (way out of the price range, but you get the idea)
1286539-jbl-l300-summit-speakers-absolutely-stunning.jpg

Kind of depends on your musical tastes. The selection above that gdmoore suggests is good, but none is cheap, and all might be heard as brash under some circumstances. You could also go in other directions with differently gratifying results.
One option I like is single driver systems - there is a coherence and tactility to speakers that don't use crossovers - but the problem is usually that a single drive that has good high frequency extension is likely to be relatively small, so the low end will be less than robust down at the bottom. Of course there are powered subwoofers everywhere, and so this deficit can be addressed. I find the Lowthers to be wonderful (but, again, not cheap). And there are a variety of other fine options, Fostex springing to mind, but there are a variety of modern options, and, of course, there are the EMI ellipticals, University's 12 inchers and JBL LE 5s and many others.
Another possibility is open baffles. I know less about these, but many of the same drivers mentioned above work well in this context.
Finally, tapered quarter wave pipes are lots of fun, but for the most part, these are completely homebrew, though again, the drivers above may shine in them.

i love both ideas. TY. I've thought about a horn loaded speaker as a matter of fact and have a pair of 12" Altec model 15 woofers in storage waiting to be used...I always thought Horns are nice but can be fatiguing or piercing, havent explored it enough. The cabinet size is a factor I have to think about too. I already have a pair of power hungry B&W DM6's in the space, they are 16" wide, so the new speakers would have to sit right next to them along the 12' width of the room. What are your thoughts on full range, coaxial or concentric such as Tannoy's, Goodman's, University's or Altec 604 types...thanks

Last edited:
Small sized room makes the big horn speakers an iffy proposition although I have seen it work in some situations. Open baffle speakers would be placement problems as they usually need 3 to be or more feet away from the wall for proper performance. Your Dynaco amplifiers are plenty powerful enough to drive the hell out of a whole lot of "conventional" speakers.

I’ve heard the Mark III sounding not so good when paired with highly sensitive Altecs and JBLs and I’m suspicious of it used with such speakers. My opinion.

Dynaco had the AR speaker in mind when they came out with the Mark III, if the OP wants old speakers ARs, KLHs or Advents might be a good match providing the OP likes them.

Last edited:
A single Altec 604 in a corner cabinet was one of the best systems I've ever had. Stunningly good, even as it sounded like a loudspeaker, not reality. But no speaker system sounds like reality. And most are only pretty good.
On the other hand, 604s are also stunningly expensive, or at least to us bottom feeders. And another single speaker, a full three way EV Regency, would be another singularly exciting experience.
I think Lowthers and Quad ESLs are the only competition in my experience, and they were stereo, which complicates as well as enhances - I'm open to the idea that mono has something that stereo loses.
But wait - a pair of Vandersteen 1s with Mitch Cotter electronics at Take Five in New Haven in the early 80s created the most believable soundfield I've ever heard - actually, the only believable soundfield.
So there are many ways to skin a cat, and if my list proves anything, it's that you need to listen to a lot before you know what really does it for you. I also esteem a bunch of standard issue speakers - JSEs, Bozaks, Magnepans, and so on, and live happily with a constantly changing string of them - the ones I mention are the ones I regret selling.
You have enough power and control to use almost any speaker unless you demand deafening volume and stomach churning bass.
But those altecs might be an econowave candidate.

+1 on Cornwall.

Or Heresys.

I have Cornwalls in my library, which is only 13x14 feet. They are fabulous.

The Dynacos might sound ducky with the OP’s B&Ws. That’s not the point of the exercise, I know, but a passing thought.

Another thought, the Altec 890C Bolero is on the low end of high efficiency and I think it’s superior to any vintage speaker it’s size and superior to many modern speakers. It might be a better mate with the Dynas than more sensitive speakers. Maybe. Maybe I’m delusional about the Mark III and highly sensitive speakers.

Last edited:
...I always thought Horns are nice but can be fatiguing or piercing....

Those used to be my thoughts, too. But now that I've had the experience of building my own, I've found that when a quality horn is fatiguing or piercing, it has been poorly implemented. Proper crossover, horn eq, and attenuation are key.

GeeDeeEmm

If you can find them, Dahlquist and Alon speakers were voiced with tubes. I've heard both on tubes, and they were very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom