Looking for Speakers with Good Bass

Jet757f

I have these AR-14s that I'm using with a Kenwood Super Eleven right now and I seem to be reaching the limits on the bass on these speakers.
I like the non-ported bass that they put out.

I have heard that something along the lines of the JBL L100 be one of the better bass sounding speakers. After doing some reading I have seen some other JBL models listed like the 4311, 4312 etc.
So which of these JBLs should I look for?

Or should I stick with trying to find AR speakers like the AR-10pi or something like that?

I listen to mainly rock music. Will also be using with Pioneer 1010 or 1050 in the future.

The general consensus is JBL's are great for rock. A very forward in your face speaker sound.

Acoustic suspension speakers like AR's, KLH's etc also have great bass, but less forward in the mids and highs.

It really boils down to sound preference.

I have these AR-14s that I'm using with a Kenwood Super Eleven right now and I seem to be reaching the limits on the bass on these speakers.

I have heard that something along the lines of the JBL L100 be one of the better bass sounding speakers. After doing some reading I have seen some other JBL models listed like the 4311, 4312 etc.

Or should I stick with trying to find AR speakers like the AR-10pi or something like that?

I listen to mainly rock music. Will also be using with Pioneer 1010 or 1050 in the future.

If you want to lean toward JBL 3-ways that are plentiful and affordable I'd suggest the L100t or t3. Totally different speaker than the L100 and, IMO, better sounding. The 2214 woofer in the 100t/t3 is one of the nicer 12" woofers I've heard.

Don't forget the Cerwin Vega speakers, they will rock your house. Look for the ones they have 12 or 15 inch woofers.

JBL L100's are way overpriced so stick with other models.

Pioneer made some good to very good speakers designed by an ex-JBL designer. Some of us would say he did better work at Pioneer. :D

HPM-100's have plenty of bass with in your face mids and highs, but still sound better than L100's in my opinion. The higher end HPM line gets very good and the best I've heard from Pioneer are the DSS-9 speakers from the mid 80's. The DSS-9's dual voice coil woofers do wonderful things with low end. The DSS-9's are kinda rare but can be bought for $300 or less usually and sound better than any affordable JBL speakers I've heard. (By affordable I mean $1000 or less)

If you want to stick to Acoustic Research I would suggest the AR90's or better yet, the AR9's. Great bass and very good sounding speakers.

Don't forget the Cerwin Vega speakers, they will rock your house. Look for the ones they have 12 or 15 inch woofers.

I had some Cerwin Vega AT-15 years ago and they never did anything for me. These AR-2ax and 14s have really good bass for their size but I want more!!

There is some guy on CL that has some JBL L100s for $450. They look in good shape.

Thanks everyone I will look at some of these other models mentioned.
I really don't want to go the subwoofer route again.

I had some Cerwin Vega AT-15 years ago and they never did anything for me. These AR-2ax and 14s have really good bass for their size but I want more!!

There is some guy on CL that has some JBL L100s for $450. They look in good shape.

What kind of rock? The modern stuff, or are you talking about classic-rock. Just wondering. My W90's don't have a whole lot of low-end extension, but they give me all the bass I need. Life-sized bass (Something tells me you want more though). Above all else, the bass has to sound NATURAL to me, otherwise I'm out.

Most of the larger acoustic suspension speakers will give you deep but not boomy bass. AR2ax, AR3a's, KLH Model 23's, 5's, 6's, ADS, Advents just to name a few. I have heard or have owned the JBL's and Pioneers already mentioned and far and away prefer the pure tight non boomy bass of acoustic suspension speakers.

Speakerlab 7s . Vintage but what bass!. Great detail also. I wish a had them... check our sir byrds thread on his.

If your going to do JBL you may as well throw HPM-100 in the mix.

I second the AR3a recommendation (further down in the posts). Own HPM-100, AR3a and JBL L88 Nova (which share the same woofer as many of the other suggested JBL speakers) and both the HPM and AR3a are better in the bottom end.

My speakerlab das 7 speakers have great bass

25 to 21000 hz at 94db at 1w1m 275w rms each

Last edited:
I think there is a member trying to sell a pair of Phase Linear Andromeda's in Barter town for a while now. I see your a subscriber, you should contact him. I love their bass capabilities.

Older acoustic suspension speakers from AR will need to be refoamed and recapped if they haven't been already. AR9 is a house shaker. So is NHT 3.3. Ask the rubber duck. AR 303 is his also. It's a kind of updated AR3a.

Klipsch KG 5.5 as well...and around here they've been selling at very reasonable prices (usually around 3 bills).

Back
Top Bottom