Looking for Speakers with Good Bass

The Heathkit AS-101, Infinity Kappa 7 & JBL 4312s I have had in rotation have excellent bass. The Infinity Kappa 7 especially.

STOP it already!
Have you learned anything from this thread?

If you ask an open ended question like "Which speakers have good bass?" you'll get 150 different answers from a hundred members about which speakers have bass that is deeper, better, lower, tighter, more accurate, more extension etc.

Speaker placement and room acoustics have at least as much to do with getting good bass as the speakers themselves.

I truly doubt if you even know what many here would consider what good bass even sounds like. Jacking up the low end on the EQ and having the loudness on will make most any speakers sound like ass.

There are lots of good hifi stores in Orange and LA Counties. Take some of your own music and go out and listen, because your obviously going nowhere with this thread.

Otherwise, jack up the EQ all the way in the low end, keep the loudness switch on and cram your speakers tight up against the corner walls. Crank it up and enjoy!

Last edited:
STOP it already!
Have you learned anything from this thread?

If you ask an open ended question like "Which speakers have good bass?" you'll get 150 different answers from a hundred members about which speakers have bass that is deeper, better, lower, tighter, more accurate, more extension etc.

Speaker placement and room acoustics have at least as much to do with getting good bass as the speakers themselves.

I truly doubt if you even know what many here would consider what good bass even sounds like. Jacking up the low end on the EQ and having the loudness on will make most any speakers sound like ass.

There are lots of good hifi stores in Orange and LA Counties. Take some of your own music and go out and listen, because your obviously going nowhere with this thread.

Otherwise, jack up the EQ all the way in the low end, keep the loudness switch on and cram your speakers tight up against the corner walls. Crank it up and enjoy!

Word. :yes:

This thread is going around in circles. Have to agree with gvalent :yes:

Killing this thread would be humane :thmbsp:

What makes the most sense, is, what sounds best to you.

I ended up getting some AR-3a's and I'm really surprised how good they sound.
Not only they have a really nice bass sound but also very separate highs.
They don't sound like they are bottoming out at all like the AR-14s.

These are keepers for me.

A fine loudspeaker. :yes:

Could be used as a baseline reference for "what a good speaker should sound like", IMNSHO.

Great find! I think it's had to beat AR 3/3a's for deep accurate bass in a not so huge enclosure. I find my 3a's bring out lots of detail. That dome midrange is fantastic.

Pictures - we want pictures :D

Say that to someone with a pair of Concert Grands... :smoke:

Emory Cook, of Cook Records who had the unique Binaural records, and Rudy Bozak where very good friends and worked out of the same manufacturing facility. Emory Cook collaborated with Rudy Bozak on his speaker designs the Bozak B-310 Concert Grand was one of those. Emory Cook used the Concert Grand to demonstrate his binaural recordings of Organs because they could reproduce a 16Hz organ paddle note without distortion.

Bozak B-310 Concert Grand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rERlUy5UEgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKbmCKs9-M
This recording can be had here:
http://www.folkways.si.edu/michael-...ar-classical-islamica/music/album/smithsonian

Cool now if they have not been done to find out what they really sound like and recap the crossovers you will be amazed.

I wonder if the spiders in your 14's woofers are shot :scratch2:

I'm going to try and get the grills off over the weekend and then I will take some pictures. I bought a pair of the white grills on Ebay that I want to eventually put on.
Also the cabinets on these need to be refinished.

The subwoofer that I was using with the AR-14s seems to sound better with the AR-3s for some reason too.

One problem that I found when hooking up the speaker wires. The #1 speaker post on one of the speakers is turning. It still sounds alright but will have to be fixed.

Here is a picture of the AR-3a with the grill off. I didn't release there was a groove that the speaker fits in. I broke some of the wood when I was taking the other one off.

Attachments

• 20131214_211034[1].jpg
    20131214_211034[1].jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
Very hard to remove grills without breaking. You can get new ones from AR Guy on eBay.

That is an AR 3 tweeter and either AR 3 or early 3a woofer that has been refoam replacing original cloth surround.

Did the grill material "tuck" into edge of cabinet or was it flush?

My bet is these are 3's not 3a's unless someone replaced an early 3a tweeter with the one from AR 3.

Do they have the paper on back identifying them?

Nice find!!!!

The grill tucked into a groove or slot that goes all the way around the speaker. This is what threw me off. I thought they were just laying on top so when I pulled off the first one I broke some of the wood at the bottom.

No paper on the back but the serial numbers are etched onto the metal on the adjustments. The serial number begins with a "C" if that means anything.

Back
Top Bottom