bluenote79

I'm looking to upgrade a second system for my kitchen. My main system is running a Thorens TD 160, which is fully manual and I love it. I had a Dual 1257 for my second system, which was "ok", but the auto function stopped working. Well, it didn't stop completely. It pretty much drops the tonearm wherever it chooses and it's really annoying.

My wife will be using this system as well. For her sake, I would like it to have an auto function. Anyway, I'll be searching Craigslist, Barter-town, and the like. My budget is around $300 and I'd like to get something better than the Dual 1257 (something with a solid base, preferably). I could spend a little more if it was going to knock the socks off the competition. Open to new or vintage suggestions.

HK T45C. Semi auto with pickup at LP end. Good set of features, solid player and in yer price range sans cartridge. My two cents.

New might be hard other than the Denon DP-300F.

For vintage there are plenty. I prefer Technics direct drives (almost any model) or a good quality CEC made table.

Technics SL-1600 (Mk1 or 2). Similar to a SL-1200 but automatic and (therefore) cheaper.

I think those are great if you can find one. or maybe the 1700 which is the semi auto version. And for less money you can maybe find an SL-D2 or SL-Q2 (semi auto), or SL-Q2 or SL-Q3 (full auto). They are not quite as good as the 4 digit Technics but not bad at all.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-q3.shtml

Technics SL-1600 (Mk1 or 2). Similar to a SL-1200 but automatic and (therefore) cheaper.

You've peaked my interest with the SL-1600. I'll start looking around for one.

New might be hard other than the Denon DP-300F.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Denon DP-300F? They are on sale at B&H right now for $229. $100 off. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/744625-REG/Denon_DP_300F_DP_300F_Fully_Automatic_Turntable.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoBdz1ougbW8hEAJUXODGvhq34a3rMW2-f2ZGNFTK0m1bLrlzup6LjUaAlfEEALw_wcB&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y)

I think those are great if you can find one. or maybe the 1700 which is the semi auto version. And for less money you can maybe find an SL-D2 or SL-Q2 (semi auto), or SL-Q2 or SL-Q3 (full auto). They are not quite as good as the 4 digit Technics but not bad at all.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-q3.shtml

I have an SL-Q2 modded with about 5 pounds of plasticaly in its innards, and have replaced the attached interconnects with RCA jacks (one cable went bad). It's a really nice semi-automatic table. Can't adjust VTA however.

Kenwood sold a lot of nice auto/semi auto decks.

They sold many models, these are just two of the upper tier decks.

TOTL auto in its day, sibling to the KD500.
Screenshot_20190126-100752.png
Fully serviced unit.
Screenshot_20190126-101113.png

Considerably above budget semi-auto but the end game for many.
Screenshot_20190126-100851.png

The Technics linear trackers can be really fun. Some folks like to disparage them but they have good specs and sound great with a good cartridge. There are caveats. They take p-mount carts, so selection is limited. Of note, there is a seller on Ebay on that offers NOS AT450 p mount carts, nude ellipitical, at a very attractive price. I have one that sounds great on my SL-QL5. A Grado Black sounds nice too, I think they still offer them in P-mount. The Technics linear decks are complicated and can have difficult problems. I've successfully rehabbed two examples. (In contrast, had no luck getting a couple of Duals back to life.)

Personally, if I was in your shoes, because I'm getting older and less inclined to tinkering and have had less than ideal experiences buying vintage turntables, for a $300 kitchen system my wife would use, I'd pick up the Denon DP300f for $230 and spend another $65 at LP Gear for their Denon stylus upgrade and an second Denon headshell to have on hand if/when I decided to play around with cartridge upgrades later on.

How is the KD 3055? It looks like someone is selling locally.

No experience, looks to have a similar base to the Rock, it's belt drive, nothing wrong with that. Also looks to have the same arm as the KD550 along with decent specs. Being local gives you the opportunity to see it in person, see if they can demo it for you.

I hear the OP, about the frustrations of Duals. And be wary of folks telling you "it just needs a steuerpimpel" - after getting that advice numerous times, someone finally told me my model doesn't even use them! What they really need are: cleaning all lube, relubing with several types of lube, TAKING THE MOTOR APART, etc, etc...

Still, I love the sound of an idler Dual, but I wouldn't inflict the frustration on anyone I love.

My recommendations are: Technics SL-D2 (semi-auto) or D3 (same as the D2 but with full auto function).

Great sounding table, easily and cheaply tweakable, robust, easy to use, and usually to be had for next to nothing.

A shout for the DP-15f Denon.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-15f.shtml
Punches above it's weight, very compact, you just need to check all the electronics are still working. The front panel switches may need a squirt of cleaner to function.

A turntable I'd often thought of 'upgrading' only to find it sounds better than it's potential replacement. Much better performance than my new AT5LP.

For new I recommend the Denon dp300f. Priced just right, fully automatic. Returns the arm and stops the platter at the end of the record. Works well with Ortofon cartridges

Back
Top Bottom