Looking for suggestions on audio cabinet/furniture

Starquest

I'm looking for suggestions on good a good audio cabinet. What I want is something similar to the Ikea Besta shown below. This is about 70 inches wide. It's highly configurable -- doors and drawers are optional and I don't want or need them. I'd like space for three turntables on top, three compartments across the middle for my receivers, amps, gear, etc., then space for records along the bottom.

When I found this thing at Ikea last Sunday, it seemed perfect. However, I'm concerned about it being flimsy. The shelves in the middle claim to have a capacity of just 44 pounds. My SX-850 is 42 pounds, which is cutting it too close. Maybe there are ways to brace the shelves more securely (adding to their capacity), but I just don't know.

j85k3nf8wygz.jpg

I've looked on amazon too, but most stuff there is for TVs, with minimal (or no) vinyl storage, and they all have doors, which I don't need and don't want to pay for.

What's your ideal audio cabinet?

If you can find used Salamander Synergy on CL you can sometime find bargains. I am using an Ikea Besta for one system with my Denon AVR-5800 (65lbs) on the bottom shelf. I also needed to leave the back off that side of the cabinet due to the depth of that receiver and my desire for enough ventilation. I set the backing panel against the wall behind all the wires to keep the wall from showing around the components.

I think your best bet quality wise on a budget would be to skim craigslist or the facebook market for credenzas, buffets, and entertainment centers. While looking for something new that fits the bill. Not a guarantee but you can definitely find some high quality used furniture that will run circles around stuff like Ikea. I totally ended up with an imported Italian entertainment center for super cheap that way (the pictures weren't the best quality). It was probably the heaviest piece of furniture I've ever moved even taken apart. Plus I bet the Twin Cities would be a good area for mid century furniture with similar lines to that Ikea stand. What sort of budget are you working with as far as new?

I had a walnut cabinet custom built to meet my needs... but that was a little bit pricey way to go, and it seems you want to economize, so the used furniture market can yield good items. Check consignment shops as well as CL. I've found some nice things at such shops and dickered down to a price I wanted by simply walking away. Had I been lucky enough to find the same items on CL, I'd likely have saved more, but it can be worth a few bucks more if its the perfect fit, or near enough.

I had a walnut cabinet custom built to meet my needs... but that was a little bit pricey way to go, and it seems you want to economize, so the used furniture market can yield good items. Check consignment shops as well as CL. I've found some nice things at such shops and dickered down to a price I wanted by simply walking away. Had I been lucky enough to find the same items on CL, I'd likely have saved more, but it can be worth a few bucks more if its the perfect fit, or near enough.

Just skimming that area's market there's actually some vintage stereo furniture. Kind of helps they there's a bunch of basements up there because so much stuff from that era ended up stored instead of curbed or sold off.

I'm looking for suggestions on good a good audio cabinet. What I want is something similar to the Ikea Besta shown below. This is about 70 inches wide. It's highly configurable -- doors and drawers are optional and I don't want or need them. I'd like space for three turntables on top, three compartments across the middle for my receivers, amps, gear, etc., then space for records along the bottom.

When I found this thing at Ikea last Sunday, it seemed perfect. However, I'm concerned about it being flimsy. The shelves in the middle claim to have a capacity of just 44 pounds. My SX-850 is 42 pounds, which is cutting it too close. Maybe there are ways to brace the shelves more securely (adding to their capacity), but I just don't know.

j85k3nf8wygz.jpg

I've looked on amazon too, but most stuff there is for TVs, with minimal (or no) vinyl storage, and they all have doors, which I don't need and don't want to pay for.

What's your ideal audio cabinet?

The one in the picture has "sag-ossis".

If you can find used Salamander Synergy on CL you can sometime find bargains. I am using an Ikea Besta for one system with my Denon AVR-5800 (65lbs) on the bottom shelf. I also needed to leave the back off that side of the cabinet due to the depth of that receiver and my desire for enough ventilation. I set the backing panel against the wall behind all the wires to keep the wall from showing around the components.

Could you please post a photo of your setup in the Besta?

I had a vertical cabinet custom built of 1-1/8" birch back in 80's. But too wide, heavy to reach basement cave, now.
Have double wide 48" x25" x 2" shelves Flexy with 4" locking casters, can be disassembled. Can accommodate two TT's.
Do consider doorway and stairway clearances.

Last edited:
I’d start by adding legs under the 2 vertical dividers that the shelves attach too. It needs something underneath it to support the weight. Poor design....

I agree about craigslist. That’s where I got my unit. It’s not long and low but it works for me. If you want new, try a furniture store. Mid century modern is so popular there’s lots to choose from. I’ve got one in the living room that’s long and low and sturdy. Came from Nebraska Furniture Mart. (Big operation down here in Omaha).

The reason the Ikea Besta is sagging is because the previous owner chose to save a little money and only bought 4 legs rather than the recommended 8. Each upright has two 8mm threaded sockets that can accept legs or casters. I bought 8mm threaded stem casters for mine (search on "TWHN-40N-M23-BK-B" to find) . Ikea used to sell threaded casters but due to lawsuits for tip overs when drawers are installed in the frames I believe that stopped offering this option.

I’ve got a custom made 3 shelf audio rack on order from Mike DeGeorgis that has solid maple shelves and walnut posts. He has an ad on Audiogon if you want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom