Looking for tube amp suggestions for a entry level system

So... Is it sounding good or bad?

I like it very much. I am listening a lot of music from era tube amplifiers and radios were dominating
the market. That was reason I also build single element loudspeakers as my target was develop
system doing correct sound level of that period.

EL34-B distortion can be heard but as it is "tube type" it is ok. High frequencies like symbals are
"smooth" compared to solid state. Probably not the best setup for example for classic music where
is used lot of that kind of instruments (hard to separate them) but just a band and vocalist sets sounds great.

When I added LCR part of that test was use thin wire coils. A "good" 0.8mH coil will have resistance
less than 0.5 ohms. I used cheap chinese coils with 2 ohm resistance. Result is that I also got
a bass equalization because at the bass resonance the element has high peak impedance.

I would say it is "very good" now.

Which tubes are you running? I can definitely recommend 6P3S-E coin base tubes for EL34 substitutes in this amp. Ditto RCA 5U4GB rectifier and Melz 6H9C tubes. A very special sound with those.

Originals. Triodes are russian made NOS tubes. EL34's are Psvane labeled chinese made as well the rectifier is labeled "Oldchen". I'll keep them until they worn out. Others are easy to replace but I am not sure about the rectifier. Datasheet says it has to be terminated with 4u7 cap but this seem to have 47u so ti has to be something "special".

Very silent amplifier at all. Sometimes the triodes generate low level sound itself - continous one. A fillip and words "shut up you russian" has been always helped. After that they stop generating noises for a while.

Back
Top Bottom