1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for 'vintage' a/v switcher, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by thoraudio, Sep 26, 2018.

1. thoraudio

thoraudio New Member

Integrating my retro video game consoles into my system. Currently I use a modern A/V receiver as my main unit. It does all the HDMI switching.

I use an Adcom SLC 505 as a switcher for my analog stack (turntable, R2R, cassette, MD) and run a single L/R pair into the receiver. It only has two video inputs, though.

I'd like to do the same for the video game side. I know there are plenty of inexpensive a/v switchers out there, but I'd like to keep the retro/vintage theme going.

So far the only one I've found is the JVC JX-5300. I'm sure there are others out there, any suggestions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

Depending on how many inputs you need, I have used a JVC JX-S300 and a JX-S555. The latter has composite and component video capabilities and handle 5 sources. The JX-S300 has 4 inputs and composite/S-Video video only. Both are remote controlled.
    They are really nice switchers. Quick and quiet switching. I currently have 2 JX-S300s. One is used for tape decks housed in a separate cabinet away from the main. One cable from the switcher to the main preamp. The other is not being used.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I have a JX-S100. While it doesn't have remote control it does have four inputs, two with Super VHS video.

4. thoraudio

thoraudio New Member

Just hit me. I may start looking for some early 90s Pre-amp with video inputs. There are probably some stupid expensive THX certified name brands for pennies on the dollar.