Looking for vintage receiver suggestions.... have LS3/5A Monitor speakers and Technics sl1700 turn

About 15 years ago we bought a panasonic plasma with surround sound. Nobody appreciated vintage anything at that time. I was told my technics receiver was garbage ( it probably had issues) so i offered it to the sales guy/ owner who said he would use it for parts. I didn't know any better. Through this forum I now understand i need an integrated amplifier. I don't even want a radio lol. Your system looks fabulous.

If you notice the amplifier on the bottom shelf, the integrated above is only being used as a preamp.

If able to source an integrated with pre outs / main inputs on the rear this will allow future upgrades of power without changing everything. One of the beauties of separates is the versatility.

I use a Marantz 1060 as a pre amp powered by a Marantz 250. One of the sweetest sounding combos.

I also have a bunch of vintage receivers that would power those speakers easily as well. Get something in good condition with a decent amount of power and you will be fine. Lots of shops that sell vintage items cover them with short warranties.

20181105_100052.jpg

To me the sound of most vintage receivers is colored for LS3/5a monitors. They need a clean neutral amp. I had a pair of the original Linn Kans that are very close in sound to LS3/5a monitors. Ran them on a Marantz 3200/140 combo, an Advent 300 receiver and a Sony STR V-4. None of them did justice to the open detailed midrange these speakers are known for. Wound up pairing them with a NAD 3020 and was very happy with the results.

Is that a vintage nad or do they still make it? I know they have a version 2 of the 3020 also.

Here's where i plan to put the system. The orange rectangles are where i think the speakers will go across from a sectional sofa that is about ear level with them. The amp has to connect behind the guitar amp on the left. I can work that out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
Some other sources of used or vintage stereo gear / electronics in Toronto are Craigslist, Kijiji, and Canuck Audiomart. Since its not far away, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit Rochester and Syracuse US sources may be available. Not sure if Ottawa and Montreal are close enough to look at.

Any sense of what your budget may be? Are there space or heat concerns where you might place the electronics?

In your picture, you may consider the shelf placement and leave space on either side of the speaker to move them around a bit. Although not likely, you may consider a pair of stands in front of the wall unit if the stereo imaging doesn't come out very deep.

Here's where i plan to put the system. The orange rectangles are where i think the speakers will go across from a sectional sofa that is about ear level with them. The amp has to connect behind the guitar amp on the left. I can work that out.

If you can move them out a bit more they will probably sound better. You can toe them in a bit if needed.

I bought the new Nad d3045. So far, i love it. I can stream music ( Etta James sounds amazing), got the integra 6 cd player going ( after sitting in my basement for 12 years ( Van Morrison and Dr John omg - so good). The turntable is a problem - technics sl1700. Holy cow - my husband's blues vinyl that he babied for 40 years sounds like my 45's when i was a kid haha. The stylus just skated halfway across his album. Aren't they supposed to have a point on them? Got my rogers speakers back from The Speaker Shop Toronto with new terminals - beautiful! Turntable has a stanton 681 eee cartridge. No clue what the stylus is or what happened to it, but we did move.

Thanks all for the help. This Nad is pretty cool. Updated for modern needs. Computer usb cable, blu tooth, 2 optical ports for tv. Sounds very good. Any thoughts on the turntable or other are welcomed. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
If you can move them out a bit more they will probably sound better. You can toe them in a bit if needed.

Thanks. I have enough extra cable to move them in front for serious listening. Will see if it makes a difference. They sound really good. Playing music i know really well and hearing things that weren't there before - seriously. Especiially brass and vocal harmonies.

I bought the new Nad d3045. So far, i love it. I can stream music ( Etta James sounds amazing), got the integra 6 cd player going ( after sitting in my basement for 12 years ( Van Morrison and Dr John omg - so good). The turntable is a problem - technics sl1700. Holy cow - my husband's blues vinyl that he babied for 40 years sounds like my 45's when i was a kid haha. The stylus just skated halfway across his album. Aren't they supposed to have a point on them? Got my rogers speakers back from The Speaker Shop Toronto with new terminals - beautiful! Turntable has a stanton 681 eee cartridge. No clue what the stylus is or what happened to it, but we did move.

Thanks all for the help. This Nad is pretty cool. Updated for modern needs. Computer usb cable, blu tooth, 2 optical ports for tv. Sounds very good. Any thoughts on the turntable or other are welcomed. Thanks!

Oops. Had to return the d3045 nad today. The remote stopped working and i couldn't turn the unit off manually either.

Think i'm getting the rega brio after all. I'll add a music streamer in the future.

I got another Nad off Amazon. Works great. Runs these Rigers Ls35a's perfectly.
Just got the vinyl up and running today on the vintage technical 1700 I bought with the Rogers in 1978. Listening to Big Nama Thornton and it sounds great. Had to get new terminals for the Rogers. That was nerve wracking, but seems to have worked out ok. Couldn't play them with the old terminals, so what can you do. I feel like a kid again.

Back
Top Bottom