Looking to purchase a new CD player

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Billiam1962, Apr 18, 2018.

1. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Onkyo C7030 is a great player for the money. No skipping problems for me either, and I got mine from Amazon.

Roadrash likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

The thought occurred to me that I could use the Teac CDP-1250 with a external DAC. The Teac while being around 20 years old seems to still play fine and it doesn't skip except on badly scratched CD's. Even my Yamaha S300 does at that.

With this in mind, if I decide to buy a DAC instead of a new CD player, would I get an upgrade in sound quality if I only use RCA connectors instead of a Optical or Coax connector? The Teac only has IC's and doesn't have the Optical or Coax out connectors. I noted the Cambridge Audio DAC has IC inputs and outputs. Should sound much better since it is a much newer DAC chip in it.

3. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

Would I be able to find a USB to RCA connector cable that I could use from the Teac to a DAC?

4. opnly bafld

opnly bafld AK Subscriber Subscriber

Need a digital out to use an external dac.

5. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I had the Emotiva Erc 3 CD player for awhile, bought it new I think it was $550. It's been awhile forgive me, but the tray was very noisy opening and closing and I could hear the motor even standing back after loading the CD briefly. Honestly I had expected a lot more sound quality than I got considering the price, just kinda lifeless. Sold it at a substantial loss, bought the 7030 and have enjoyed it much more.

Maybe I'm bias because the Emo preamp, bought used just sucked....clinical, dull lifeless audio, I couldn't get it out of the house fast enough. The XPA-2 amp on the other hand really rocked with the Kappa 8's.

6. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

The ERC 3 is not the same model as the new CD100. Probably as much of a difference in build and sound as the C-7070 and C-7030 from Onkyo. The only way I will buy used is Factory Refurbished. You may have gotten a bad unit that should have been sent back to the factory instead of resold.

Perhaps buying a C-7030 with the Extended Warranty will work for now. Then at a later date, when I can afford it, I can buy a newer and better external DAC for it.

7. Rybeam

Rybeam Super Member

I researched this subject several years ago and decided on the Onkyo C-7030. Excellent internal components, and reviews. Basically the same guts as $1000 plus players of just a few years ago. Excellent build quality, real aluminum front, nice warm sound. Good looking, great performer after about 3 or 4 years of very regular use, no issues.

stish and guiller like this.
  8. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

Rybeam. Just found a used Onkyo DX702 for almost nothing on Ebay. Just got it hooked up. In very good condition and it sounds great. Much better sounding than the cheap Teac I mentioned. The DX702 has a Toslink output which I plan to use.

9. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’m kinda way late to the party here, but fwiw, I’d suggest the Teac 650.

I’ve had mine for a few years now based on recommendations by other members. It is simple, straightforward, and no trouble as a CD player. Additionally, the USB input allows access to music library on pen-drive, on mobile devices, and even streaming music through mobile. All decoding done by a nice Burr Brown chip. Fun extra feature: a 1/4 headphone jack for listening without the rest of the system.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I’m even considering a second one for the lounge system so I don’t have to countinually unplug and move depending where I want to listen.

guiller and SofaKing like this.
  10. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

reydelaplaya. Thanks for the suggestion. Will consider this for the future. Right now since I just bought the DX702 I will be set on the CD player end for a while. Units from that era were very well built and should last decades. Works perfectly and the sound is good though I will be adding a DAC to it to get the audio quality up to date. A bit grainy compared to the Yamaha S300 that I have but aside from that it sounds excellent. Good sound stage, bass is solid and tight and instrument separation is good. Detail is even a bit better than the S300.

reydelaplaya likes this.
  11. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

$7 at my local Red White and Blue last year. :banana:

JarredCrowe likes this.

12. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad to hear you found one you like! :D Like I said, I thought I was probably a little late to the thread, but since I saw the Teac in your list, I thought I’d at least give you some feedback on it from personal experience with it.

May your DX702 bring you plenty of listening enjoyment. ;)

13. Billiam1962

Billiam1962 Member

Just got a Topping D30 DAC for the Onkyo CD player. Initial impression is that the audio is very slightly smoother with the DAC vs. the built in DAC. I can tell this is a good CD player and I am not going to hear dramatic improvements to the sound which is already quite good. But my objective was achieved with this purchase since it smoothed out the slightly grainy sound I heard previously from the CD player.