Looking to score a decent Reel to Reel and could use some advice.

DocMontana

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm contemplating purchasing a older Reel to Reel deck and have been perusing the usual places like ebay and reverb. It seems there's a lot of non-functioning decks for sale (some at fairly high prices!) and a lot more that "Works, but for sale as is" or "Worked when I put it away 20 years ago". Along with others that have been gone through and cleaned, new belts installed, heads demagnetized, ect.

Any advice on the better buys and makes? I think I would rather spend a little more initially on something that has already been overhauled and working rather than something I would wind up spending the same (or more) on a unit I would have to have overhauled, and possibly even finding out I bought something that's beyond repair.

I'm seeing a lot of refurbished Akai Reel to Reels that seem to be decently priced, and a few Teacs..I'm sort of leaning toward one or the other of these, particularly a Teac, since they're brands I'm more familiar with. Others I might be interested in would be something by Marantz or Pioneer. I'm hoping for something good in the $200-$400 price range.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Akai, Pioneer, Teac, Technics, Rheem/Roberts (some were rebadged Akai units), Ampex, certain models of Wollensak, Viking/Telex, and certain high end Sony decks have all been easy to find parts for and are reasonably reliable and are also easy to service when the need comes up. One hidden gem out there is the Realistic TR-3000. It's a Teac X3 in disguise. I would try to find one that has been fully serviced rather than something that needs servicing. Like you said, you could spend less initially, but need to outlay a ton of cash to overhaul one if you get one that's a project. I've done that twice with a rare KLH reel to reel model, and I've never been able to get either one of them working properly, one of them even after a full mechanical & electronic rebuild!

Tandbergs sound wonderful, but can be harder to find parts for.

The Otari MX-5050 series are workhorses that were in production for decades.

The Pioneer RT-707 is a favorite of many AKers. Between TEAC and Akai, I'd pick TEAC, both because they're usually simpler mechanically, and parts and help are more available. The Technics are nice, but you may pay a premium just for the name.

I'd stay away from Viking/Telex (too old), Rheem/Roberts, and Wollensak. Most especially stay FAR away from Dokorder.

Can't say I've ever seen a Marantz R2R, just not something they were into.

If I were in the market for another R2R, I'd be looking for a serviced RT-707.

As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Get an RT 707. It's a great player/recorder, built like a tank and vey easy to use. A lot of them were made, so they are easy to find.

I'd stay away from Viking/Telex (too old), Rheem/Roberts, and Wollensak. Most especially stay FAR away from Dokorder.

Just wondering as to why you would avoid these. Parts availability is good on all but the Dokorder, and the Rheem/Roberts were mostly rebadged Akai decks. The Vikings & the Wollensaks were built like tanks, I still regularly use a Viking 88 with my home system and it performs fine and sounds great. I also have a portable Wollensak that has been in the family since the early sixties when it was new and although rather lo-fi, it works just as fine today as the day it was made. I'm sure the later home stereo versions were just as well made.

I certainly didn't mean to denigrate the Vikings or the Wollensaks. It's just that, at this point, they've been out of production for years. Viking pretty much expired in the mid to late '60s, although their decks are reasonably simple and trouble-free. Wollensak quit the consumer biz in the early '70s, but their stuff was also pretty bullet-proof. I'm sure there are still quite a few 1500s in use today. Wollensak's problem is primarily that, as part of a large corporation (3M), at some point they stopped investing in keeping up with the market.

The problem with Rheem/Roberts and Akai is that many chronic problems have surfaced. Many models suffer from auto-reverse switch problems, noisy transistors, and broken internals on the tension arms. The one good thing is that the GX heads are likely to be intact. (And the motors, as well. Akai did, after all, begin as a motor manufacturer.)

All in all, Pioneers and TEACs remain the most likely to be trouble free in th 21st Century. IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Maybe start off with an Akai 4000DS MKII. There are also some good early TEAC machines.
At least this way, if they need some "servicing" it's something you can do without too much grief.

My 4000 is very easy to work on. I was amazed at the ease of cleaning wheels and belts. I understand there are variations of this model. Wish I knew more.
For now I changed the capstan wheel to do 15"in. per second. I also got another capstan for much slower that I don't use.
I would be happier if it had Dolby and I think I remember seeing a Dolby/4000 variation(??) some time ago. Just a couple of spools of tape and I have my day set.

A restored deck would be hard to come by in your price range. A fully functional one with a new belt, and in good cosmetic condition would fit in your range, but true restoration would cost on top of your $400 range top.

I strongly suggest a local purchase, as shipping R2Rs is a specialty that few have mastered.

Good luck,
Rich P

Sansui also made some very nice decks, with their own electronics and transports from (I think) TEAC. I have an SD-5500 that will play back quad tapes but only records in stereo.

Can't say I've ever seen a Marantz R2R, just not something they were into.

As far as anyone knows, Marantz made exactly one open-reel deck. It was a prototype of the never-produced 7700. There are rumors that seven or so might have been made, but only one has turned up and been verified, and it is S/N 1.

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Pioneer is another brand I've always liked, my turntable is a Pioneer PL-55 Direct Drive. That one was a good find, bought it for $5.00 at a Salvation Army store in the mid-90's. All it needed was a stylus!

I'm an older guy, (will be 60 next month) so I came of age in the 70's, IMHO the "Golden Age" for top-notch stereo gear. I have nothing against digital, but I still love analog best.

I'm wanting the reel to reel mainly for putting down ideas for songs I'm working on, I have an old Yamaha Multitracker as well as a Fostex digital recorder, but like the idea of being able to "roll tape" without a lot of fiddling around. Of course I'm looking forward to playing recorded music as well!

I've actually found a few refurbished decks in the $400-$500 price range, complete with 30 day return guarantees. As far as buying local that would be awesome, but it would be a really long shot to find a functioning RTR anywhere around here..Even a project deck from a thrift store or junk shop at a killer price would be cool, but as it is I'm afraid I'll have to take my chances purchasing one from afar.

I DID find a reel full of tape at a local thrift store for $1..I'm curious to hear it when I finally score a deck! :idea:

All this has brought to mind another question- Do they even still make tape? Or is one simply forced to seek out old stock RTR tape?

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Pioneer is another brand I've always liked, my turntable is a Pioneer PL-55 Direct Drive. That one was a good find, bought it for $5.00 at a Salvation Army store in the mid-90's. All it needed was a stylus!

I'm an older guy, (will be 60 next month) so I came of age in the 70's, IMHO the "Golden Age" for top-notch stereo gear. I have nothing against digital, but I still love analog best.

I'm wanting the reel to reel mainly for putting down ideas for songs I'm working on, I have an old Yamaha Multitracker as well as a Fostex digital recorder, but like the idea of being able to "roll tape" without a lot of fiddling around. Of course I'm looking forward to playing recorded music as well!

I've actually found a few refurbished decks in the $400-$500 price range, complete with 30 day return guarantees. As far as buying local that would be awesome, but it would be a really long shot to find a functioning RTR anywhere around here..Even a project deck from a thrift store or junk shop at a killer price would be cool, but as it is I'm afraid I'll have to take my chances purchasing one from afar.

I DID find a reel full of tape at a local thrift store for $1..I'm curious to hear it when I finally score a deck! :idea:

All this has brought to mind another question- Do they even still make tape? Or is one simply forced to seek out old stock RTR tape?

Why do you say"Or is one simply forced to seek out old tape" Sure you can find and pay a premium for so-called new tape but it's not that hard to find decent used tape!One has only to seek out old tapes there are lots around,seek and you shall find:)

Teac A series made in the mid 70's on, or Pioneer RT701/707. I also agree on keeping the purchase local. I don't know where you are, but an hour drive for what seems like a good buy should be considered reasonable. Speaking over the phone with the seller is a good way to feel out the honesty of the seller.

If a seller is willing to demonstrate the deck to you, it's a good sign. Bring a set of headphones, or even ear buds, to monitor the recorded sound from the source. You will need to get a 1/4" to miniature stereo adapter, if your phones have the miniature plug.

Expect to pay at the high end of your price range for a fully functional deck. Any deck of this vintage will have needed servicing. If the deck is advertised as functional-that's not enough. Some sellers will characterize an item that way, just because it turns on and the meter lights come on, etc. A deck that has sat for many years should be considered non functional, even if working well prior to storage-same as a used car. Yea, it might drive down the road, but expect to do a lot of deferred maintenance to make it truly road worthy. Similarly, a used daily driver is a better bet than a "barn find"

Happy searching-might take a few months to get a good deck, so be patient, and be willing to make the deal quickly if one appears near you.

there IS a company in Mt. that does complete rehab of R2R's - can't recall where exactly (I KNOW it's a big state- crossed it many times on 2 wheels!) They do photos of tear down and doc every step (or so claimed). wasn't so hard to search.... www.reelprosoundguys.com NO AFFILIATION here

WOW! Thanks Eddisc! I live near Bozeman, I think those guys are north of here but it's good to know there's someone reasonably close that can work on R2R's.

I took the plunge and bought a Teac 2300S I've been watching on ebay. Totally refurbished, including a new drive belt, 30 day return, the seller has a 100% feedback rating and guarantees everything he ships is packed well..Now I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best..:idea:

I agree 100% that the best thing would have been to find something fairly local, but I've spent years searching thrift stores, pawn shops, and antique malls..Mostly on the search for vintage musical instruments, particularly guitars and amps, but I've always got my eye out for nice stereo gear as well. I have found I think, one RTR in fifteen-twenty years or so. It was in a pawn shop, didn't work, and was ridiculously overpriced.

I think you will be really happy with the A series Teac you got. I was curious if you looked on Craigslist at all. That is where I got my A4300. I took a chance on it because the seller was only asking $75 and said it had been playing great and then just stopped. I did a little research on AK and found out that the Teac's have a very common problem with the grease in the pinch roller linkage getting hard. I cleaned and regreased the linkage. lubed the motors and put a new capstan belt on and it works great. I also bought a box of old tapes from Craigslist which I am working my way through. I have been really impressed by how good R2R sounds. Plus there is the hard to beat visual cool factor.

No I didn't look on Craigslist, I probably should have! With my luck, I'll probably find a killer deal on a pristine RTR now that I've spent my money! :rflmao:

No worries if I do, in that case I may just wind up with two..:naughty:

I'm seeing several mentions of "A series". The RTR I have on the way doesn't have an "A" on what I'm assuming is the head cover, only "2300S". Some of the others I've been watching has an "A" prefacing the model #-..i.e. A2300S.

Does that mean it's an earlier version, a later one, or is it simply a different series?

Back
Top Bottom