Looking to Upgrade My Headphones

Fritz33

I'm currently using the ATH-M50x phones to listen to my jazz, classical, rock, New Age vinyl/CD collection, powered by various vintage Marantz receivers, 4400, 19, 2285 and 2385, a Thorens TD 160 Super turntable and Marantz CD 6005. I'd like to keep the price to around $300. Was thinking of the Sennheiser HD650, of which I read almost unanimously favorable comments. Any opinions or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Marantz setup.jpg

Thorens7.jpg

I'm assuming all of the above mentioned cans work with the single-wire analog/stereo connector in the vintage Marantz receivers?

WOW! That's an extremely cool setup! :cool:

I don't have any advice for you, since I'm waiting for fedex to deliver some ATH-50's to my door..I'll probably eventually upgrade myself, but I'm hoping the Audio-Technica's will do OK for now..I did some research and they seem to be pretty highly-rated cans, and they fit my current budget. :idea:

I DO know Sennheiser makes some top-notch gear.

Those vintage receivers tend to have high current headphone outputs. Perfect match for some planars. You owe it to yourself to try some planar headphones. The bass articulation is eye opening.

Doc: I think you'll like the ATH-50. I plan to keep mine for use with my secondary receiver, a Marantz 19, located right next to my desk top in the basement. They're a huge upgrade over the vintage Pioneer SE 305 and various Realistic cans (I inherited from my father) that I had been using. No comparison. But, as with all electronic gear, you're always searching for the right upgrade. Good luck with the 50s.

I like the M50s and still use them for bass-heavy stuff and for movies.

In your pricepoint, the HD600/650 and the Q701s are my top two choices. I consider the Q701s to be my favorites, esp for their large, relaxed perspective. The 600s and 650s are great choices as well. I think there's more of a difference than just the more bass on the 650. The 600 sounds a bit more refined to my ears and a little more detailed. I often say that I'd recommend the 600s to a jazz or classical listener and the 650s to a rock type listener though there is much overlap. Unless you are comparing back to back, I imagine most folks that enjoy one would enjoy the other.

Either will be a pretty big difference from your M50s. Less bass, less recessed midrange, much larger perceived soundstage with the right material and much more expansive sounding.

Got a pair and you'll never go wrong with that purchase, it might even make you think about buying better speakers after breaking in those headphones....cause the sound is that good !

DJcoolray: I've got four Sonus Faber Electa and 4 Marantz Imperial 8 speaker sets. Not sure I can do (afford) any better. But, the cans are out of this world. It's a rainy/cold night in Pittsburgh, but I could care less. Using the 650s to listen to Art Tatum and Erroll Garner. The combination warms the room.

I love my HD 600's. These cans sound better and better with each amp upgrade. Currently driving with Schiit Valhalla 2 and The Element DAC.

Back
Top Bottom