Looking to upgrade tubes

No no, no mistakes, just gotta feel you out so to speak. :D

The 6L6 has many variants you can try but you can't use say a 7591 in the place of a 6L6 tube or tube with more power than the 6L6 family. Your device is designed for certain power output so you can't get more unless you're an engineer or know or have the skill set to perform said surgery to get more power.

Now if it's a question about tube rolling, then there are many tubes and brands you can try.

6L6
6L6G
6L6GB
6L6GC

Same with the 12AX7.

EDIT: I assume that your device uses a 6L6GC. If so, the 6L6 (old metal type), the G and GB variants are less rated on the plate voltages than others after them and should not be used. They're the same tube except the GC and 5881 are newer versions which are made to handle higher plate voltages and higher plate dissipation.

Last edited:
No no, no mistakes, just gotta feel you out so to speak. :D

The 6L6 has many variants you can try but you can't use say a 7591 in the place of a 6L6 tube or tube with more power than the 6L6 family. Your device is designed for certain power output so you can't get more unless you're an engineer or know or have the skill set to perform said surgery to get more power.

Now if it's a question about tube rolling, then there are many tubes and brands you can try.

6L6
6L6G
6L6GB
6L6GC

Same with the 12AX7.
Tube rolling? Wow! That’s a new one on me lol. So, here’s my predicament I guess; I’m not rich but not poor, wanna get some really good, solid upgrade tubes without paying “show off” prices for “show off” tubes lol. My head is spinning from reading about tubes and trying to figure out why one is different from the other and then just got hit with a new phrase “tube rolling” which sounds cool as hell but leaves me a little more lost than when I first read this response lol.

People like me have been doing this for years and its second nature. I have RCA, GE, and Svetlana brand 6L6GC tubes and I like the GE branded tubes. With the GE branded 6L6GC tubes, the plate structure is gray. My Svetlana tubes also have gray plates. My RCA branded 6L6GC tubes have black plates.

They all have the same specs voltage wise, but they do sound different from one another. Not softer or louder or fuzzy or clearer or anything like that, just different. Some people swear on black plated tubes and some people swear on gray plated tubes. Yup, hee hee, down the rabbit hole! :p

People like me have been doing this for years and its second nature. I have RCA, GE, and Svetlana brand 6L6GC tubes and I like the GE branded tubes. With the GE branded 6L6GC tubes, the plate structure is gray. My Svetlana tubes also have gray plates. My RCA branded 6L6GC tubes have black plates.

They all have the same specs voltage wise, but they do sound different from one another. Not softer or louder or fuzzy or clearer or anything like that, just different. Some people swear on black plated tubes and some people swear on gray plated tubes. Yup, hee hee, down the rabbit hole! :p
One of the big things that’s getting me is that there’s some 6l6 tubes for 499 and some for 21.99. Am I looking at something wrong? I know that’s probably a stupid ass question and there’s probably a simple reason there’s that discrepancy but I haven’t seen it yet. There’s the groove tube 12ax7 and the Raytheon. Couple hundred dollar difference. Am I just ignorant here? Lol

One of the big things that’s getting me is that there’s some 6l6 tubes for 499 and some for 21.99. Am I looking at something wrong? I know that’s probably a stupid ass question and there’s probably a simple reason there’s that discrepancy but I haven’t seen it yet. There’s the groove tube 12ax7 and the Raytheon. Couple hundred dollar difference. Am I just ignorant here? Lol
Not ignorant, just have to start somewhere. I picked up my first tube amp 5-6 months ago, now I'm up to six. Yeah, it grabs you and will pull you deep.

I guess you just gotta know your stuff. It does take years unfortunately. I have been doing this since I was 10 and I can spot a 6L6 type of tube if you were to let's say have a bucket of tubes spilled onto the living room carpet. Same with the 12AX7 type of tubes. These are just your basic audio tubes.
Tv tubes are a whole 'nother story. :yikes:

Okay, 499 to me just sounds stupid and/or a scam. 20 - 100 might seem more reasonable.

You're going about this backwards. Kegger used to tell me that the preamp tubes affect sound more than the power tubes, but folks seem to start with the more costly power tubes regardless. Your provided link reiterates Keg's advice; look at the cheaper 12AX7s first
"
Tube Rolling
Recommended order for upgrading:

1. Preamp: 12AX7
  2. Phase Inverter: 12AU7
  3. Driver: 6922
  4. Power: 5881
I'd look into some different 12AX7s to start; what are you running now, and what are you looking to change? The Brent Jesse site has good info on various 12AX7 tubes sounds and would be a worthy read. You can read about the tubes for sale, but ignore the pricing as it's very optimistic. Many 12AX7s can be had for less than $25 each or less, especially domestic brands.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

PS, I do mean all tubes, not just the 6L6, but you will also learn that too............eventually! :D
Just hang around! You'll learn more..........lots more! :rockon:

You're going about this backwards. Kegger used to tell me that the preamp tubess affect sound more than the power tubes, but folks seem to start with the more costly power tubes regardless. Your provided link reiterates Keg's advice; look at the cheaper 12AX7s first
"
Tube Rolling
Recommended order for upgrading:

1. Preamp: 12AX7
  2. Phase Inverter: 12AU7
  3. Driver: 6922
  4. Power: 5881
I'd look into some different 12AX7s to start; what are you running now, and what are you looking to change? The Brent Jesse site has good info on various 12AX7 tubes sounds and would be a worthy read. you can read about the tubes for sale, but ignore the pricing as it's very optimistic.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm
Well, I was down the 12ax7 rabbit hole and went back to the 6l6. I will most definitely replace the 12ax7 first, but if at all possible I’d like to do all of them. I don’t how the two driver tubes affect play, but if they’re necessary then I’ll do them too. There’s just so much. Brands and matched...... it’s a new world lol. My solid state was easy

BTW, it is a rabbit hole. I've been selling tubes for years and you learn to list every little variant as folks are looking for specifics and differences. Long plate, short plate; gray, black, silver, even spotted plates; halo, D, square, horseshoe, dimple, top, bottom, side, single, and dual getters, and of course on European tubes, what plant? Blackburn Mullards are an excellent example.

Be prepared to be swamped!

BTW, it is a rabbit hole. I've been selling tubes for years and you learn to list every little variant as folks are looking for specifics and differences. Long plate, short plate; gray, black, silver, even spotted plates; halo, D, square, horseshoe, dimple, top, bottom, side, single, and dual getters, and of course on European tubes, what plant? Blackburn Mullards are an excellent example.

Be prepared to be swamped!
I’m there lol.

Well, I was down the 12ax7 rabbit hole and went back to the 6l6. I will most definitely replace the 12ax7 first, but if at all possible I’d like to do all of them. I don’t how the two driver tubes affect play, but if they’re necessary then I’ll do them too.
When rolling tubes it is better to change 1 stage at a time. If you change too many tubes at once you won't know which tube in what position had the greatest effect on the sound. Convention says the input tube since it handles the signal first.

OP I was there. It's like finding a parallel universe.
I've done a bit on the 12AX7. The European direct equal is the ECC83.
Do a search on your amp to find what's been tried.
I don't think you'll find a consensus.

Back
Top Bottom