Looks like ALTEC Hostboard is down, again ...

Discussion in 'The Lansing Legacy' started by hjames, Aug 5, 2018.

1. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Not sure what's up - I clicked the ALTEC link http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html
    and got a basic 404 Error - then stripped it all back to see if the "Parent" site was up
    http://www.hostboard.com/ - got the same 404 ... maybe they have finally disappeared?
    Its a darned shame, there was a long history of information on the ALTEC part of the site, but frankly, it was such a convoluted and terrible site to use (due to the weird proprietary forum software), that I generally went anywhere BUT there when searching for ALTEC info.
    Often as not it would simply time out, or take forever for anything to appear when I went there.

Hopfully its just a temporary thing - maybe some weekend patching or repairs, hopefully it will return

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hjames

After 5 or 10 attempts I did finally manage to connect to to Hostboard -
    I hope good does come out of the crisis - but I suspect they need a fulltime coder with a lot of free time
    to rescue whatever content is buried in their database ...

3. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, looks like it's back up again and seems to be working fairly well. I think Todd is still looking to relocate to a different system/hosting site but this morning it's working better than it has in a very long time.
    I had all but given up on the site but I received an email from my friend Marshall this morning that it's back up and working fairly well and sure enough it is. Let's hope it stays that way.

BillWojo

hjames likes this.
  4. DEAFASABAT

DEAFASABAT Active Member

Hello Hjames! Just a thought... Is their server content just 414 pages? There are software apps that will let you download pretty much the contents of a website, and it seems to me a small site content might be feasible to achieve such an action with.
    Or I may be out there in left field on this. If so, sorry.

5. hjames

No idea how big their site is. All I know is folks have told me it’s a huge repository of legacy Altec knowledge. I have been more on the JBL side of things most of my audio days, so I don’t actually know what is there. I didn’t have any Altec gear until I bought the Heathkit version of Altec Valencia’s in January, Other folks here have a much deeper Altec arc.