Lossless and battery charge

gelmhirst

What?
Something I discovered the hard way. After re loading 224 CDs one by one onto my iTunes in Apple Lossless format, I noticed that when I played back a song to hear the difference, the charge level almost immediately decreased.

I very quickly connected the dots and suspected the format has a direct impact on battery life. So this morning I set my iPod on shuffle, to see how long a full charge would last. 30 minutes. This essentially isolates my iPod use to my 170i transport, portable street use is no longer practical with a 30 minute battery life.....:scratch2:

If you're using the hard drive based iPod (which I am assuming you are), yes, lossless will drain the battery life a lot. Since the files are larger, the hard drive has to spin significantly more to play one song than if the song was compressed and hence smaller. This is one of the primary reasons I am holding out for a 64 GB flash iPod, since there are no moving parts, and I can play lossless music with (theoretically) more battery life than a hard drive based iPod.

Back
Top Bottom