Lossless via Tidal ... current setup questions (Topping D 30)

Audirvana supports Tidal integration and can playback the 1st fold of MQA. It also has a phone/ipad app to control it remotely

Thanks for the info. My Audirvana free trial ends next week. I like their interface for music management and had seen there was a an app available to control remotely via iPhone. Figured I'd go that route. It has been a bit frustrating trying to find info re all the options in their settings, though. Still not sure what Converter function to select, or why.

Thanks for the info. My Audirvana free trial ends next week. I like their interface for music management and had seen there was a an app available to control remotely via iPhone. Figured I'd go that route. It has been a bit frustrating trying to find info re all the options in their settings, though. Still not sure what Converter function to select, or why.

If you have force upsampling set to “power of 2” (most popular) or something other than “none” the converter comes into play. If you choose “none” then your DAC is doing all the work, not just some.

If you want to read into the izotope/Sox settings more checkout these threads:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/29516-audirvana-how-to-select-izotope-settings/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/15051-izotope-src/

Kray & gvl appreciate the clarification. Sounds like my next step is to:

1. hurry up and wait......... on a PC version
2. Pick up a used apple and delegate it to stereo duty.
3.Subscribe to Roon and delegate my old PC to stereo duty.

Wheels are spinning. Rabbit hole............

One questions for my son... He is a Mac users..... best way to link his Macbook to Shiit Modi 2 Uber? Best bang for buck cable you would recommend to do so?

Last edited:
You could also get a Yamaha WXC-50 network streamer/preamp, it can do Tidal/Spotify and has smartphone remote control apps. It has a decent built-in DAC. If you don't need a USB input for PC connectivity you can sell the D30 which will bring you closer to the stated $200 budget. I don't know if it can do Masters/MQA but apparently Yamaha stated it will be supported at some point: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2017/rxv_series_streaming.html . There are other streamers out there as well, do some research if this is the direction you choose.

gvl.... that makes more sense. The Yamaha essentially takes the place of my AE and the DAC all in one from the way I look at it? If that is correct this is more along the lines of what I am looking for. Back to researching. Thank you again.

gvl.... that makes more sense. The Yamaha essentially takes the place of my AE and the DAC all in one from the way I look at it? If that is correct this is more along the lines of what I am looking for. Back to researching. Thank you again.

Yes, AE+DAC in one, and more. Afaik it supports AirPlay so you can stream to it from the iPhone, or you can use the Yamaha MusicCast app to have the WXC-50 pull Tidal directly from their servers (this is how MQA would be supported I imagine, if at all). One downside of streamers is that you're at the mercy of the manufacturer to promptly update their firmware should there be any changes on the third-party service front. As the device ages it is at risk of becoming incompatible with the services it originally supported, or waiting longer for firmware updates to become available. I waited a couple of years for Denon to release an update to my AVR-1913 that fixed Spotify which stopped working 3-4 years in. I was very surprised when it was rolled out as I thought they would never do it for a long-time ago discontinued product. At least the Yamaha has an optical input, so it can at least be used as a somewhat limited DAC, if everything else fails.

Last edited:
Kray & gvl appreciate the clarification. Sounds like my next step is to:

1. hurry up and wait......... on a PC version
2. Pick up a used apple and delegate it to stereo duty.
3.Subscribe to Roon and delegate my old PC to stereo duty.

Wheels are spinning. Rabbit hole............

One questions for my son... He is a Mac users..... best way to link his Macbook to Shiit Modi 2 Uber? Best bang for buck cable you would recommend to do so?

I honestly think a good bang for buck USB cable is the Wireworld Ultraviolet.

Here's a site that sells used cables: https://www.usedcable.com/digital-c...7-usb-2-0-type-a-b-3ft-1m-digital-cables.html

If the Macbook has a combo optical/analog 3.5mm output he can just use a cheapo mini-toslink cable into the Modi Uber's optical input.

That's true! options galore. I was doing that from my Mini to Soekris but the USB input is really good on the Soekris so i dedicated the optical to my CD player. Also 1 less thing to plug in since it's powered off the USB.

Back
Top Bottom