Lost part of FM tuner

msjanket

My Sony 5950 receiver lost 89-95 on the FM dial. I had been varying antenna position. It worked great in the morning, then I lost it. I've had it aligned recently, checked out, etc. The rest of the FM dial is just fine. Any suggestions?

Mike

Are you saying that it's still good in the morning (when first turned on) and then goes bad as it warms up? Might be a bad IF transformer. But where I live it's not uncommon for stations to come in loud and clear early in the morning and fade away as the day progresses. Part of it is atmosphere and part of it is EMI and RFI goes up as households around you become busy. That even affects your AC quality.

Long shot..but

Since you had it aligned this may be a long shot. When I get an older receiver on the bench I take a clean paint brush and run it GENTLY throught the tuner capacitor. My latest aquisition is a Pioneer SX 6000 receiver. This one was not too bad on the lower end of the dial but it was a little noisy when i changed stations. It got the paint brush treatment. After which I run the selector from one end of the dial to the other. Put the capacitor at the end of the dial where its exposed and run the brush through it. It gets rid of the dust and the noise. The Quad cousin my QX 8000 did not work at all on the low end of the dial when it arrived 1 and a half years ago. The paint brush treatment cured it and its played with a hitch since :yes: Got a QX-4000 with a very noisy and dead FM section down by 88. This trick cured this one too! Hope thats all thats wrong :)

Eric

Its in the frontend, not an IF transformer. If is 10.7Mhz for all channels. The local osc, mixes the received freq and changes it to 10.7Mhz, an IF problem would just affect the low band.

I agree, first thing would be to clean as Eric suggested.

X

Back
Top Bottom